Weekly Rundown: ‘The Lion King’ and local food festival

By John Lavanga / A&E Editor

Tuesday, Sept. 3

STRFKR

Altar Bar, 1620 Penn Ave., Strip District

8 p.m.

Admission: $15

Electronica bands are commonplace in the modern music scene, so it’s difficult to give Portland, Ore.-based STRFKR their due without using the sort of buzzwords that have become virtually worthless thanks to the genre’s popularity. STRFKR is an electronica band with chill, dancey vibes. Though these are now cliches, they provide an accurate description. The band represents some of the best parts of the genre and their newest album, Miracle Mile, kept things going by maintaining an upbeat pace and a simple, yet effective, use of layering. 

“The Lion King”

Benedum Center, 803 Liberty Ave., Cultural District

Through Sept. 29

Showtimes vary

Admission: $70-$150, $30-$70.18 with student discount

The animated film will always occupy a place in the hearts of millions of ’90s kids around the globe, but the musical itself — which won the Tony Award for best musical in 1998 — is no slouch, either. It features a catchy score and over-the-top performances that will help audiences relive the joy that they found in the Disney film. The award-winning Julie Taymor will direct Pittsburgh’s rendition of the musical, making it an almost sure-fire success.

Saturday, Sept. 7

Hometown Homegrown

Heinz History Center, 1212 Smallman St., Strip District

10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Admission: $15

The staff of the Heinz History Center have a nearly unmatched passion for uncovering the region’s hidden stories, but this Saturday they’re shifting their focus toward Pittsburgh’s food offerings and the search for the perfect pierogi. The food festival will feature 30 vendors from around the region who will offer samples of their unique recipes, as well as cooking demonstrations and a Wigle Whiskey presentation on the history of spirits. Essentially, it’s a Pittsburgh foodie’s dream come true.

Thrival Innovation + Music Festival

Bakery Square II, 6425 Penn Ave., Point Breeze

noon to 10 p.m.

Admission: $20

Thrill Mill, Inc., is a nonprofit company based out of East Liberty that seeks to nurture startups, and Thrival Innovation + Music Festival is a key part of their plan. The Thrival Innovation showroom will focus on the business side of the endeavor, offering educational and inspirational speakers while the 13 teams the company has worked with will deliver their startup pitches to local investors. The big draw, however, is the music to be performed afterward. Local hip-hop outfit Formula412 will be making an appearance, and headlining acts De La Soul and RJD2 will be sure to draw a crowd while bringing serious musical heft to the event.