Al Rasheed: The hidden gems of happy hour

While most other students spent their summers going on vacations, earning money or getting into shape, I spent most of mine trying to mask the pain of an unpaid internship and standardized testing. In short: I went to a lot of happy hours.

I quickly found that although my favorite Oakland happy hour locations were ideal for my income (which was nonexistent), they became a bit boring. When we live in such an accessible, enjoyable city, there is little reason to stick to habit. If you do some research on places to go in the city, you can surprisingly enjoy it on a budget. Below you’ll find my favorite places I’ve found in Pittsburgh — they get the seal of approval from a woman who really, really appreciates good food and drinks. These aren’t locations for binge drinking and borderline forgetting that the night happened, but they allow you to actually enjoy the city while you take some stress-relief time. Best of all, you can enjoy these places with about $10 in your pocket.

Wine Night at Up in Shadyside

On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, this classy lounge has a half-off wine bottle special, making it a perfect place to share a bottle with a few friends, whether it’s to end a long day of work or get an early start to the weekend. For those people who know their wine, the selection will have you quickly returning. For my fellow wine noobs, the staff is very knowledgeable about the subject and eager to help you find something you enjoy. 

Mad Mex in various locations

If you’re on a gluten-free or vegan diet, this place is not for you. For those who enjoy good wings and beer, this place is heavenly. Half-off drafts and half-off wings guarantee you’ll be happy this hour (from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. on weekdays). For tequila lovers, you probably already know their “big azz margaritas” are half off as well — although I can’t guarantee you’ll accomplish a lot with the rest of the night if you start it this way. 

Emiliano’s in South Side

This is a nice switch from Mad Mex if you’re looking for a similar selection of food and drink. From 4 to 6 p.m. on weekdays, they have half-off appetizers (sorry guacamole fanatics, this isn’t included), half-off house margaritas and half-off drafts in addition to a daily special. The quality of the food and drinks is something to see for yourself. The service is great, they know how to mix tequila and it’s a nice break from the less-classy cocktails we typically fit into our budget.  

The Porch at Schenley in Oakland

The Porch definitely isn’t the cheapest place in Oakland. However, if you are going to spend $10 during unwinding time, I recommend sitting outside and ordering a drink. Cocktails at The Porch are arguably the best cocktails you can find around Oakland. Happy hour drink specials are 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. and pizza is half-priced after 9:30 p.m. on weekdays. Plus, if Pittsburgh weather allows you to sit outside, cherish every second.  

Rock and roll bingo in Tiki Lounge in South Side 

This isn’t necessarily a happy hour, but who wouldn’t want a chance to win prizes while out on the town? On Tuesdays, games are free to play, and you can win free drinks, gift cards and other fun prizes. This is the perfect medium for people who enjoy doing an activity other than dancing while drinking.

The Church Brew Works in Lawrenceville 

This is one of my favorite places I’ve ever been. The venue alone is something every Pittsburgher should see. It follows the title as interestingly as you could expect — an old church converted into an award-winning microbrewery and restaurant. The food is priced to be saved for a semi-special occasion (like when the parents are in town), but I recommend going even if it’s just for pierogies and one of their home-made brews (which are reasonably priced). 

This summer I’ve done both rewarding extracurricular activities and enjoyed  exploring the city of Pittsburgh. It is crucial to maintain that balance between work and play simply for sanity reasons. These places that I’ve frequented add to the overall attractions Pittsburgh has to offer and the number of places you can go to unwind from a long day or week. One message remains certain: When you’re all wrapped up in the rigors of working and school, don’t forget to enjoy the Pittsburgh experience.