Sponsored
×
'Stallings 2.0:' Fans react to Pitt's reported interest in Mark Schmidt - The Pitt News

‘Stallings 2.0:’ Fans react to Pitt’s reported interest in Mark Schmidt

Pitt is considering Mark Schmidt of St. Bonaventure to replace Kevin Stallings as the men's basketball head coach. (Ashley Landis/Dallas Morning News/TNS)

TNS

TNS

By John Hamilton / Managing Editor

St. Bonaventure men’s basketball coach Mark Schmidt interviewed for the vacant Pitt job Thursday, according to multiple reports. Days after learning Pitt offered Dan Hurley $3 million for the job, fans were underwhelmed — to say the least — that Pitt is considering Schmidt.

Schmidt posted a 192-152 record at St. Bonaventure, a A-10 school located in rural New York. Before leading the Bonnies, he racked up a 82–90 record at Robert Morris University. For an ACC program like Pitt, his resume is underwhelming for fans and media.

Pitt fired Kevin Stallings March 8 after a winless season in the ACC and a 24-41 record. Pitt will reportedly have to pay Stallings a near $10 million buyout, though the school is attempting to fire him with cause to avoid the buyout.

Some fans came to the defense of Schmidt, who helped turn around the struggling Bonnies.

But the immediate reaction indicates that hiring Schmidt would anger fans — just like when Pitt hired Stallings, another coach with a subpar resume.

https://twitter.com/stevelimfor3/status/977225903020396544

.