Pitt in the NFL: Bad week for Panthers

By Chris Fanelli

Week four of the NFL season proved to be a little more difficult than previous weeks for former… Week four of the NFL season proved to be a little more difficult than previous weeks for former Pitt Panthers in the professionals. LeSean McCoy of the Philadelphia Eagles and Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals both failed to live up to their normal production, and Darrelle Revis was helpless in trying to lead his New York Jets to victory against the potent Baltimore Ravens.

Fitzgerald (Pitt wide receiver, 2002-2003) had 8 catches for 108 yards — which seems like solid stats — but he wasn’t able to come up with a touchdown or connect with QB Kevin Kolb on a late-game fourth-down conversion. The Cardinals couldn’t hold on to their 27-17 lead and suffered a 31-27 loss to the New York Giants.

Also in the Cardinals-Giants game were Pitt alums Henry Hynoski (Pitt fullback, 2008-2010) and LaRod Stephens-Howling (Pitt running back, 2005-2008). Hynoski, who plays fullback for the Giants, was targeted twice by QB Eli Manning and was able to pull in one catch for 5 yards. Stephens-Howling, a running back for the Cardinals, returned from a hand injury that kept him out last week and had one rush for 1 yard, along with one reception for 9 yards.

McCoy (Pitt RB, 2007-2008) had led the NFC in rushing through the first three weeks of the season, but could only manage nine carries for 18 yards in a game where he got roughed up a couple times. His Eagles seemed determined to throw the ball and quarterback Michael Vick threw for a career high 416 yards. McCoy also had six catches for 34 yards and was able to haul in one of Vick’s two touchdown passes, but the Eagles could have used his ability on the ground to run out clock as they squandered a 23-3 lead and continued their surprise early-season struggles, falling to San Francisco 24-23.

The Eagles-49ers game also featured multiple Panthers. Besides McCoy, the game included Dion Lewis (Pitt running back, 2009-2010), Andy Lee (Pitt punter, 2000-2003) and Shawntae Spencer (Pitt cornerback 2000-2003). Lewis has primarily been working as the kick returner for the Eagles and had two kick returns for a total of 40 yards, as he continues to look for a breakthrough moment. Lee, who is the 49ers punter, is looking to add another Pro Bowl to his resume, as he had another solid day with four punts for a total of 198 yards, which comes to a 49.5 average and included a booming 68-yarder. Spencer plays cornerback for the 49ers and contributed two solo tackles during the Niners’ comeback victory.

All-Pro standout Revis (Pitt cornerback, 2004-2006) was able to get two tackles, one of which was solo, in a wild game between Revis’ Jets and the Baltimore Ravens. Both teams’ quarterbacks played very poorly in a game that included five total defensive and special teams touchdowns. The Ravens won the game 34-17 to make a statement to the rest of the AFC that they’re a major contender.

Dom DeCicco (Pitt CB, 2007-2010) wasn’t able to contribute any tackles as he continues adjusting to linebacker, his new position with the Chicago Bears. Regardless, Chicago won 34-29 in a back-and-forth game against Carolina that saw rookie sensation QB Cam Newton continue his strong play for the Panthers.

Jabaal Sheard (Pitt defensive lineman, 2007-2010) continued his successful rookie campaign for the Cleveland Browns as he had five total tackles, two of which were solo. Despite Sheard’s strong play, the Browns fell 31-13 to the Tennessee Titans.

Clint Session (Pitt linebacker, 2003-2006) had a strong game for the Jacksonville Jaguars on his way to five tackles, four of which were solo, and a sack of QB Drew Brees. Even so, his Jags fell 23-10 to the New Orleans Saints.

Kennard Cox (Pitt defensive back, 2003-2007) didn’t see any action this week as his Seattle Seahawks fell just short against the Atlanta Falcons, 30-28.