It happens again in ‘Hangover’

By Randi Alu

“The Hangover Part II”

Directed by: Todd… “The Hangover Part II”

Directed by: Todd Phillips

Starring: Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong, Ed Helms, Bradley Cooper

Grade: A-

If you loved the first “Hangover,” you will also love “Part II,” because it is essentially the same movie.

But that doesn’t detract from the hilarity. The film is just as funny and entertaining in its repackaged form to those who have seen the first as it is to those who have not. “Part II” is like an inside joke to those who have seen “The Hangover.” Certain moments, like when Stu (Ed Helms) asks “Is it my teeth?” when he wakes up, are especially funny to those who have seen the first movie.

The term sequel is tricky when applied to “Part II.” This installment does continue the narrative of the first, but only by copying its form. “Part II” does little to advance the life story of the characters — the plot simply centers around Stu’s wedding this time instead of Doug’s. It’s indeed a raunchy movie, so prepare for some groans from fellow viewers.

The story arc is almost identical: The Wolfpack wakes up disoriented and not able to remember what happened the night prior. An important member of the wedding party is nowhere to be found, a small, uncommunicative being appears, and something is wrong with Stu’s face. The remaining members of the group must try to retrace their steps to locate the missing person. And they have outrageous pictures to review at the end.

The plot similarities don’t really trip up the film, perhaps because the characters embrace them — just making it another joke that it’s “happened again.”

Mr. Chow, played by the comedic actor Ken Jeong, has a bigger role in “Part II” than in the first film, and his performance is pee-your-pants funny.

“The Hangover Part II” is set in Thailand, and rather than ignoring the culture of the area, the movie uses it to enhance the storyline.. A Buddhist monastery is the site of Alan’s epiphany, a strip club owner makes a comment about child trafficking, and the rolling power grid dysfunction drives parts of the plot. Alan comically narrates demographic facts about Thailand from speech cards that prove useful later in the film.

The soundtrack is another asset to the movie, and it definitely adds to the bad-assery and general shenanigans.

Even though it recycles the big joke of waking up memory-less after a crazy night, “The Hangover Part II” delivers fresh laughs to both newcomers and fans of the original.