Pitt plans for fall semester to look ‘more like normal’

TPN File Photo

Chancellor Patrick Gallagher sent an email Thursday morning with information about Pitt’s plans for the fall.

By Martha Layne, Assistant News Editor

Chancellor Patrick Gallagher announced Thursday morning that the University is planning for on-campus, in-person instruction for the majority of classes, as well as “the full range” of on-campus living and activities, for the fall semester. 

Gallagher said there will still be “health standards” in place, so while activities may not look as they did pre-COVID-19, they will look “more like normal” compared to this past year. He said the national vaccine effort is “gaining speed” and members of the Pitt community should get vaccinated as soon as they can.

He also said these plans are subject to change as Pitt is still working many of the details out, but he wanted to give students a chance to begin planning for the fall now. Students should be flexible and stay up to date on plans for the fall.

In the meantime, Gallagher said the Pitt community needs to work together to continue mitigating the spread of COVID-19 by wearing face masks, maintaining physical distancing and practicing good hand hygiene.