Pitt adds 51 new COVID-19 cases since Sept. 29

Pamela Smith | Visual Editor

Pitt’s CoVax Vaccination Center located at the bottom of Nordenberg Hall.

By Martha Layne, Assistant News Editor

Pitt officials said Thursday that 32 students and 19 employees tested positive for COVID-19 from Sept. 29 to Oct. 5.

According to an email sent by Pitt’s COVID-19 Medical Response Office, more than 90% of the Pitt community — students, faculty and staff — are vaccinated. 

The CMRO reported a 95% overall undergraduate vaccination rate last Thursday. At the time, 95% of graduate students, 92% of faculty and 91% of staff had provided proof of vaccination.

The email said those who have been potentially exposed but are not displaying COVID-19 symptoms should order a test through Quest at home. Those who are displaying COVID-19 symptoms should visit the Student Health Service or contact their primary care physician.  

Pitt is also offering vaccines for both COVID-19 and the flu at its Vaccination Center at the bottom of Nordenberg Hall. Appointments can be made or walk-ins are also welcome depending on vaccine availability. Flu shots for students are available every Wednesday in October from 1-4 p.m. through the Student Health Service. 

The CMRO said the Pitt community should still remain vigilant and safe in their activities, and indoor dining and large group activities are among the riskiest activities to participate in.