Pitt adds 37 new COVID-19 cases since Oct. 20

Pamela Smith | Visual Editor

The Pitt CoVax Center is ready to administer COVID-19 booster shots to eligible individuals once the CDC releases guidance about boosters and vaccination for children ages 5-11.

By Martha Layne, Assistant News Editor

Pitt officials said Thursday that 23 students and 14 employees tested positive for COVID-19 from Oct. 20 to Oct. 26.

According to an email sent by Pitt’s COVID-19 Medical Response Office, COVID-19 case numbers “remain low” this week. They also reminded members of the Pitt community to stay home from classes, work and other events — such as Halloween activities — if they are feeling sick.

The CMRO said the Pitt CoVax Vaccination Center will offer COVID-19 vaccinations for children ages 5-11 as early as Nov. 4, depending on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ recommendation. Pitt community members can register their family members for appointments. The email said parents are “eager” to vaccinate their children to help slow the spread of COVID-19 in classrooms. 

The email also said there was a decrease from 4.1 to 3.3 in average student cases per day.

According to the CMRO, the CDC approved COVID-19 booster shots for all vaccines, but depending on which vaccine received and when as well as individual risk factors, the booster is authorized for some and recommended for others.

The CMRO cautioned students as they celebrate Halloween this weekend. They said students should avoid unmasked indoor gatherings or large unmasked gatherings in general. According to the email, COVID-19 rates have remained low due to continued mitigation measures and high vaccination rates — more than 90% of the Pitt community is vaccinated — and the CMRO hopes to continue this trend over the coming weeks.