Editorial: Pitt not on par in swine flu preparedness

By Staff Editorial

For the Pitt community, swine flu has made its dreaded debut on campus. The first case appeared here on Aug. 27.

While the latest health tips circulate the media, Pitt students just received an e-mail update yesterday from Kathy Humphrey, dean of students.

Citing the expertise of local and national health organizations, the e-mail provided tips on how to avoid infection and what to do if you suspect you’ve come down with the H1N1 virus. But Pitt’s response plans aren’t as good as they could be.

Just down the road, Carnegie Mellon University already reported 26 swine flu cases among students as of Aug. 26, according to KDKA-TV. But CMU has an adequate way of dealing with infected students. The ill students are placed in an isolated, on-campus facility. At their aid is a staff of round-the-clock-nurses. They even hired an extra nurse.

CMU should be lauded for its dealings with the infected students. The school has minimalized potential transmission by isolating infected students.

Pitt, on the other hand, did not mention a plan to isolate students sick with H1N1. Naturally, isolation is a highly effective tool to combat dissemination, and we hope Pitt considers this solution for sick students.

The e-mail from Humphrey suggests some well-known prevention tips: Wash your hands frequently, cover your cough, etc. But it also provides the potentially useful number of the H1N1 hotline and lists symptoms of serious complications from the virus.

However, in accordance with advice from the H1N1 hotline, the e-mail advises students to self-isolate if they believe they have the swine flu. Self-isolating, which means going home if feasible or staying in residence halls or living quarters at all times, just isn’t as effective as staying in a specialized, on-campus facility.

Should swine flu turn out to be more of a panic than a lethal pandemic, Pitt should still take the best preventive measures — and that includes preparing isolated zones for sick students.

If Pitt can’t set up a separate zone on campus, the University should seek outside aid.

Pitt holds a steady relationship with UPMC, CMU and local hotels. If these facilities can accommodate sick students, Pitt shouldn’t hesitate to ask.

Sure, there’d be expenses if Pitt can’t create it’s own zones. Yet, of all things, students’ health must be a top priority.

Although isolated students can request meals to be delivered and will have a mask brought to them to minimize spread, staying in a dorm or a non-single apartment inevitably increases chances to spread the virus.

Should the sick student have roommates, they’ll be at a higher risk if they’re still in the same room.

Pitt said it would arrange for students with swine flu to have their own bathrooms — the least they could do. Sick students in dorms assuredly won’t each receive individual nurses.

The University still has a way to check up on them — with a daily phone call. But it probably won’t be a nurse or medical official making the call. Rather, it’s up to the student’s resident director.

As of yet, we’re fortunate not to have as many swine flu cases among students as CMU. However, we should be following CMU’s example when it comes to being prepared.