Editorial: Keg registration a flat proposal

By Staff Editorial

‘ ‘ ‘ State Sen. Stewart Greenleaf, R-Montgomery, just doesn’t know when to quit. ‘ ‘ ‘ For… ‘ ‘ ‘ State Sen. Stewart Greenleaf, R-Montgomery, just doesn’t know when to quit. ‘ ‘ ‘ For 17 years ‘mdash; that’s every year since 1992 ‘mdash; Greenleaf has proposed a keg-registration bill that would require people buying beer kegs to complete a numbered form listing their name and address. The keg then would be branded with an identification tag matching it to its buyer. ‘ ‘ ‘ Greenleaf believes this procedure would effectively curb underage drinking. If police can track a marked keg to its purchaser, adults should be less inclined to buy kegs and pass them on to minors. Additionally, a more rigid registration plan would dissuade those younger than 21 from making the initial keg purchase. ‘ ‘ ‘ This year, Greenleaf said his pitch made it further along the political process than it ever has. Last Wednesday, the senate’s Law and Justice Committee sent it to the full state senate for consideration. ‘ ‘ ‘ Although Greenleaf’s policy exemplifies an earnest, well-intentioned attempt to diminish underage drinking, his plan soon fizzles when thinking realistically. ‘ ‘ ‘ Aside from Greenleaf’s stubborn persistence ‘mdash; one would think he’d give up after 17 failures ‘mdash; this plan contains foreseeable shortcomings that explain the bill’s consistent rejections. ‘ ‘ ‘ Regardless of new legislation, minors will always find ways to obtain and consume alcohol. On any college campus ‘mdash; not excluding Pitt, of course ‘mdash; alcohol flows through house parties like water. Because this proposal deals exclusively with kegs, its aimed more at reducing binge drinking at parties. Yet, the streets of South Oakland wouldn’t suddenly empty on any given Friday night in response to this policy’s enactment. ‘ ‘ ‘ Anyone older than 21 still could purchase a keg and throw a party where minors are served. If the party was thrown at the purchaser’s home and the keg was registered to that address, the provider would be at no greater or less of a risk of being caught even with this law in place. Therefore, the group of people whose actions this law is supposed to regulate would probably flat out disregard its implications. ‘ ‘ ‘ While kegs provide the least expensive means for purchasing vast quantities of beer, parties would still go on even if all the kegs were indefinitely kicked. Let’s not forget, beer comes in bottles and cans, too.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Greenleaf also didn’t say what the cost would be to implement this procedure. We wonder if the cost, even if minimal, would measure up to how effective ‘mdash; or rather, ineffective ‘mdash; this law would be. ‘ ‘ ‘ Really, Greenleaf’s bill misses the scope of the real issue. Supplying a wave of thirsty teens with a keg full of beer is illegal, but so is buying a bottle of booze for your underage roommate. ‘ ‘ ‘ Instead of trying to start a policy that only concerns itself with one aspect of underage drinking, legislators should focus on the full extent of the matter. Yet, among a culture ingrained with a party mentality, perhaps legislation isn’t the best way to address this matter. A bill that’s failed 17 times reveals a struggle in vain to counter one aspect of an issue that’s still thriving even under the influence of the law.