Editorial: Bike rack bill helps Pittsburgh be cycle-friendly

By Staff Editorial

‘ ‘ ‘ Bicycles are fast becoming one of the most popular means of personal transportation. Low… ‘ ‘ ‘ Bicycles are fast becoming one of the most popular means of personal transportation. Low costs and health benefits spur many short-distance commuters to bike rather than take the bus or drive, but one problem with cycling is the lack of adequate bike racks and storage in many parts of Pittsburgh. ‘ ‘ ‘ But that problem could be solved if new legislation proposed by Mayor Luke Ravenstahl is passed by the Pittsburgh City Council. ‘ ‘ ‘ The bill would allow private businesses to construct their own bike racks after paying a $25 fee to the city and a review of the plans by the City Planning Department. In a press release Ravenstahl said, ‘It’s important that we show residents and our bicycle community that we are serious about Pittsburgh’s role as a bike-friendly and green city.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ Overall, the proposed legislation seems like an extremely positive step for the city. Not only would allowing private businesses to easily construct their own racks make parking a bike easier, it could also encourage more people to bike rather than drive. ‘ ‘ ‘ The city is already putting up an additional 100 racks as part of the neighborhood business district initiative, and allowing businesses to construct their own racks would allow them to place racks in close proximity to their entrances, rather than several blocks away. ‘ ‘ ‘ Nonetheless, there are a few aspects of the proposed legislation that warrant some scrutiny. For instance, the bill stipulates that the racks must conform to city standards and leave at least five feet of unobstructed sidewalk space. ‘ ‘ ‘ While it’s good that the bill ensures sidewalks remain navigable, it could prevent store owners with businesses on narrow sidewalks from constructing racks at all, or at least severely limit the number or types of racks they could construct. ‘ ‘ ‘ Also, the $25 fee, while not overly expensive, is at least a little punitive. One way to justify it could be to take the money collected and use it in other bike-related projects such as painting bike lanes or constructing city-owned racks. ‘ ‘ ‘ Despite these minor issues, the bill as it stands is definitely a step in the right direction for Pittsburgh. The city already has a reputation of being highly livable and environmentally conscious, a difficult image to achieve after decades as a smoky industrial town. ‘ ‘ ‘ A growing number of green buildings ‘mdash; including the David L. Lawrence Convention Center, the largest green building in the world ‘mdash; and an increasing amount of green initiatives are changing Pittsburgh into an environmental capital. Support for green technology, even something as simple as bicycles, is crucial to maintaining that image. ‘ ‘ ‘ The benefits of cycling, both in terms of health and the environment, are well known and reported. It is comforting to see Pittsburgh embracing bike culture and allowing private businesses to do the same.