EDITORIAL – Mixed feelings on right-wing Canada

By STAFF EDITORIAL

After more than 10 years of liberal rule, Canada has finally crossed over into conservative… After more than 10 years of liberal rule, Canada has finally crossed over into conservative territory. For many, that signifies reestablished ties between Washington, D.C., and Canada. But depending on whom you ask, that may or may not be a good thing.

With parallels being drawn between the ideals of newly elected Prime Minister Stephen Harper and President George Bush, plans to bury the hatchet appear well on their way.

Harper has already agreed to effectively monitor security on the border between the United States and Canada in an effort to ward off terrorists.

There are questions that must be resolved concerning how Bush’s newfound friend in the north will affect international policy regarding such things as missile defense and the environment.

With 65 percent of the registered voters casting ballots, the turnout was 5 percent more than last year’s 60 percent, the lowest recorded turnout since 1898.

These numbers are understandable considering Harper’s election was spurred by corruption within the Liberal party that involved unlawful kickbacks and tens of millions of dollars unaccounted for.

While many Canadians justifiably sought for change in the government, it may have been at the expense of their socio-economic liberties. Stephen Harper’s sentiments on gay marriage and abortion seem to echo that of President Bush. Some Canadians fear that the statutes already in place may be in jeopardy.

One would hope that Harper realizes that immediate change is never the best, even though the core beliefs of Harper’s constituents may be out of line with his own views.

More importantly, however, some Americans have expressed concerns about not being able to seek refuge in Canada for some freedoms. It’s often said that if America outlaws abortion pregnant women will head north. Similarly, people who want to escape America’s drinking age cross the border.

But what happened to America being the beacon of liberty? Because of our indecisiveness and atrocious foreign policies, we have become a point of contention for many countries and the citizens that dwell in our own.

Canada has jumped on the conservative bandwagon with its level of support of the United States being a major issue in the election. Our neighbors to the south have generally swayed to the left, and officials have been condemned for having strong ties with America.

It’s a shame that the United States, arguably the only superpower left, isn’t more diplomatic. Americans should have a genuine sense of pride and not feel the need to rely on another country’s unstable freedoms.

As Americans, we should all strive to improve the country we are living in, making it a place whose socio-economic liberties and foreign policies make us proud.

The fracturing of the main line, or the south’s liberal stance and the north’s conservative stance, has to do with us not being a proper leader. Perhaps if we lead by example we could reestablish relations not only in the Western world but also within our global community.