EDITORIAL – W. Va. takes steps to fight obesity

By STAFF EDITORIAL

Dancing has revolutionized the fight against obesity. But not just any old dancing will do…. Dancing has revolutionized the fight against obesity. But not just any old dancing will do. This kind of dance is choreographed to arrows and lights and techno music. And it’s not on a dance floor; it’s on a mat that corresponds to a screen dictating the direction of your next move.

Yes, you guessed it. It’s Dance Dance Revolution Extreme. To many students, DDR Extreme, or its twin In The Groove 2, is nothing more than cultish foot stomping that caused some to lose their train of thought as they ate a burger at Schenley Cafe. But to many West Virginians, it’s a project that has the potential to change the quality of life their children may have.

One-third of West Virginia’s population is obese, and according to an article on www.cnn.com, “One out of three children born in West Virginia today will have diabetes by the time they grow up.” According to the Bureau of Public Health, West Virginia is consistently in the top three states for obesity.

Thus, this state has taken initiative to fight it with the video game Dance Dance Revolution and has started from the ground up. They have deliberately targeted students between the ages of 10 and 14 because of the critical stage of development they are in. It is during this time that students form eating habits and daily regimens.

However, it should be noted that the institution of Dance Dance Revolution is not meant to replace physical education classes. It simply gives students who aren’t reaping the physical benefits of dodge ball or those not as inclined to run a mile every day another option for getting exercise and entertainment.

And beyond the 157 middle schools that will be afforded this opportunity, West Virginia has a game plan for other types of schools in the state. They expect to have Dance Dance Revolution in all 753 public schools in the next three years. They also plan to expand this project to elementary schools and high schools reaching nearly 300,000 students.

In terms of budgeting, the statewide plan will cost an estimated $500,000, with each game console priced at $740. Now, this is the part where the catch should come in. But, surprisingly, there is no catch, thanks to some corporate benefactors.

Mountain State Blue Cross Blue Shield, Public Employees Insurance Agency and the game manufacturer Konami Digital Entertainment will be financially contributing to the state’s efforts. Thus, most of the burden will be lifted from taxpayers.

It’s truly an extraordinary opportunity for West Virginia to shape up and a great way to market exercise to students who otherwise wouldn’t be engaging in physical activity. Kudos to Pitt for being up on this technology too, so that college students can also partake in the physical benefits. Perhaps more schools across the nation can learn a lesson from West Virginia by creatively combating obesity with a little two-step.