Editorial – Bush’s strategy starts to end war in Iraq

By STAFF EDITORIAL

It seems that President Bush is finally taking strategic measures to win the war in Iraq. … It seems that President Bush is finally taking strategic measures to win the war in Iraq.

An article in the Washington Post comments extensively on a recently released 35-page report, “The National Strategy for Victory in Iraq,” that delineates Bush’s three target areas of improvement: adequately training Iraqi soldiers, working on financially rebuilding Iraq’s economy and setting up a functioning democratic government for Iraq.

Many were extremely confused at this declaration in his speech this past Wednesday. Wasn’t this what he was supposed to be doing all along? Several opponents on the left censured Bush for once again taking advantage of a Public Relations opportunity with his approval rating at a record low.

While some ask where the strategy and planning efforts were when Bush decided to invade Iraq, others query how we can possibly believe his current initiative when so many were under the assumption that the three tenets of his plan were always in effect.

Last, there has been no date set for the withdrawal of the thousands of American sons, daughters, fathers, brothers and friends whose lives are constantly at risk in Bush’s “war on terror.” As the death toll climbs to 2,100, the American public has little patience left for stalling and efforts that seem to come to nothing.

On the flip side, however, as much as we would love to all wave our two-finger peace signs and co-sign Rep. John P. Murtha’s, D-Pa., plan to bring home 160, 000 U.S. troops in Iraq, leaving the war now is just as irresponsible as it was to invade Iraq in the first place.

While there are theories that insurgents are only striking because we are there, we cannot leave them in a state of endless warfare. We have to practically train Iraqi forces to fight for themselves, and three major religious groups are in complete opposition of each other. Their government is in absolute shambles, and although the fighting was bad before we arrived, it will be even worse if we cut and run.

Then there are the rumors that there is only one autonomous Iraqi battalion functioning. While Bush rebuts that there are more active battalions, Iraqi’s military as a whole must significantly improve before we have any dreams of fleeing the country.

There are also some things that Bush needs to seriously consider in his new strategy. In addition to security and military issues, the United States and Iraq need to work on setting up a government that actually works effectively for them. That is going to take more effort, more resources and unfortunately for us, more time.

It seems that the United States still has a lot to learn about terrorism before we teach Iraq how to recuperate from their immeasurable losses. But overall, Bush’s effort is a good thing. You can’t blame the man for trying. It’s comforting to see that constructive measures have now been taken to start to end this war in Iraq and here at home overall.