EDITORIAL – Total effect of “girlcott” questionable

By STAFF EDITORIAL

As the result of a “girlcott” organized by the Allegheny County Girls as Grant Makers Program,… As the result of a “girlcott” organized by the Allegheny County Girls as Grant Makers Program, the trendy and often avant-garde Abercrombie ‘ Fitch had to pull a line of T-shirts that were thought to be degrading to women, reported an article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Friday.

The shady politics of the company and this act of protest committed by the organizers have raised a lot of issues and questions.

Is the statement, “Who Needs Brains When You Have These” on a woman’s T-shirt offensive, tasteless and stupid? Or is it a playful way to ridicule oneself that is all in good humor? How about “Spitters Never Win” on a man’s T-shirt? Getting closer to that invisible line? Is this outrageous or hilarious? And how far is too far?

What’s even more interesting is that there are shirts in existence that have the possibility of being equally degrading to men. And if girlcotts prompt Abercrombie ‘ Fitch to ban only the shirts that degrade women, what are the implications of this?

Also, while some laud the girls for their efforts, others believe that the organizers in protest were shortsighted. From a collegiate perspective, it’s almost difficult to understand why these high-school girls felt that this aspect of consumerism necessitated change, considering all of the more important feminist problems.

The sharia laws have justified death and violence against women in the Middle East and hearts are bleeding for a statement on a T-shirt? Zafran Bibi has been sentenced to death by stoning in Pakistan for being a rape victim. Fifteen girls who tried to escape a burning building while not wearing their traditional attire were forced back into the flames because of a dress-code violation.

Bringing it back home, the United States still doesn’t effectively enforce that men and women receive equal pay in their occupations. Where are all the girlcotts for these real and immediate issues?

Interestingly enough, although their protest accomplished the removal of one line of clothing, it also could’ve possibly been linked to all the media attention it has sparked. It also isn’t completely coincidental that the company had an increase in sales by 41 percent last month.

It seems that while this was a start, it’s questionable whether this will spur actual change. This isn’t the first time Abercrombie ‘ Fitch has pulled something to quiet a few protesters. They pulled some of the shirts that were perceived as offensive to states and other shirts that were anti-United States after a message on a T-shirt was released ridiculing the U.S. Olympic gymnastics team for losing.

They also pulled their catalog after people complained that the models essentially weren’t wearing any clothing. Even after being criticized as anti-Japanese, each time they apologized, pulled the item in question, then created something even more offensive next season and never really showed signs of corrective change.

But the Allegheny County Girls as Grant Makers Program must be commended for adding to this laundry list feminists and change-makers like Susan B. Anthony had to start somewhere. We sometimes forget that we are standing on the shoulders of others’ initiative.

We sincerely hope that when these young feminists mature and enter college and the real world they are empowered by this small achievement, so that they grow to address more pertinent issues.