EDITORIAL – Employers need to be more sensitive

By STAFF EDITORIAL

A national survey that was recently pursued by Cosmetic Executive Women’s Foundation’s Cancer… A national survey that was recently pursued by Cosmetic Executive Women’s Foundation’s Cancer and Careers program concluded that only 1 percent of women with cancer consider their employer a support system when dealing with their illness.

While some reported marginal satisfaction, an article in New Jersey’s The Daily Record titled “When Cancer Strikes” concludes that, at the very least, the job market is meeting much resistance with sensitivity to employees with cancer. The situation has become such a cause for concern that the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission was compelled to make a statement to companies reminding them that cancer is listed under the disabilities section in the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Wow. In the closing of breast cancer awareness month, it’s abominable to hear that many companies lack a shred of human decency when it comes to accommodating those who work for their company – not strangers.

But let’s not jump the gun here. There are other issues to consider. When you think of cancer, it’s difficult to assess what kind of responsibility companies should have to their employees. There is no way to tell whether a type of cancer will cause them to be unable to work for one month or many months.

But sadly, big businesses often do not have programs available to address the needs of their employees when these issues arise. When considering cancer in general, a lot of people are still ignorant. That may be difficult for some of us to believe, considering that almost any piece of information is a Google search away, but it seems that companies simply aren’t making the effort to go the distance for a loyal employee.

Although it may be difficult for companies to ascertain whether indeed some with a history of cancer are truly sick when they are tardy or absent, some of the side effects to treatment are grim, and those with cancer shouldn’t have to lose their job permanently for something out of their control.

But let’s look into the depths of this issue. Employers often aren’t the most considerate people when it comes to maternity or paternity leave. That’s because it’s easy business, but not necessarily good business, to actually treat their employees like commodities. But interestingly enough, our society and government give so much to big business. Thus, it isn’t much to ask to treat their employees with respect and dignity.

Companies need to have programs available that address problems concerning protocol when it comes to employees with cancer. Businesses should imbue a sense in their employees that they are valuable and not expendable. This is where flexible hours come in handy and hiring a temporary instead of a permanent replacement is best for the company.

One in six working women will develop cancer at some point in their career. Everyone should work in an environment that promotes taking care of the caretaker if a time comes when your boss has to go for chemo on her lunch break. Cancer doesn’t discriminate, and businesses shouldn’t either.