EDITORIAL – Discrimination reinforces Penn State’s bad rep

By STAFF EDITORIAL

The situation at Penn State is stirring up quite the controversy. Apparently, their women’s… The situation at Penn State is stirring up quite the controversy. Apparently, their women’s basketball coach allegedly dismissed a player because she suspected she was a lesbian. But even more appalling is the fact that the school hasn’t already taken action against the coach who has a history of questionable behavior.

The Lady Lions’ coach, Rene Portland, adamantly maintains that former guard Jennifer Harris was dismissed because of her sub par performance and poor attitude. However, Karen Doering of the regional counsel of National Center for Lesbian Rights, who is legally representing Harris, has built a substantial case against Portland.

Apparently, this is not the first time that Portland has drawn negative attention to herself regarding the gay community. In 1986, Portland told the Chicago Sun Times that she did not allow lesbians on her team. Even after they instituted a non-discriminatory policy that included discrimination against sexual orientation, Penn State has been passive in the face of protests and demonstrations.

In terms of the performance of Jennifer Harris, she came into college as the most decorated player, graduating as the all-time leading scorer. With several other athletic accolades under Harris’s belt, it’s difficult to argue that Portland’s explanation for Harris’s dismissal is credible.

After the NCLR wrote a letter to Penn State urging them to start an investigation, the school decided to meet with the organization, but action has yet to be taken against Portland.

It should be no surprise, then, that Penn State does not have the best reputation when it comes to tolerance or acceptance of diversity. A recent article in the Centre Daily Times described Penn State as a “hostile campus for minorities” after an incident last year when expletives were sounded off at a group of students from a dorm room window.

Though, for example, another article, printed in The Patriot, “Beyond the Lady Lion’s Controversy,” seems to highlight the positive attitudes the gay community on Penn State’s campus has adopted, despite verbal attacks by other students.

The article goes on to render the testimonies of students who have experienced discrimination at Penn State, but have persevered and still appear to enjoy the school. It’s difficult to gauge, however, whether this attitude of seeing the bigger picture indicates how much progress the campus has made.

While it’s true that one woman’s actions should not be the barometer to which one should measure the overall sentiment of a campus, it’s discouraging when a university does not take immediate action against the possibility of discrimination. While Penn State decided to investigate Portland on Friday, it shouldn’t have taken a letter from the NCLR for the wheels to be set in motion.

Unfortunately, however, discrimination is everywhere, and even here at Pitt we cannot escape it. But, progressive institutions like colleges can band together with organizations to combat small-minded attitudes.

Sara Fatell, president of Rainbow Alliance at Pitt, says, according to a recent study titled, “Perceptions of Homophobia at the University of Pittsburgh,” “Pitt is generally a gay friendly campus.”

Even still, there is always room for improvement; we aren’t there yet. Beyond tolerance, we must challenge ourselves to integrate in the midst of diversity. So at this year’s homecoming, challenge yourself and attend an event outside of your existing circle. Step outside of the box.