EDITORIAL – Bring an end to the Port Authority polka

By STAFF EDITORIAL

It was just in time. Governor Ed Rendell authorized a $68 million bandage for Pennsylvania… It was just in time. Governor Ed Rendell authorized a $68 million bandage for Pennsylvania transit yesterday, delaying imminent fare hikes, service cuts and layoffs. Both Port Authority and Philadelphia’s Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority are mired in debt, with Port Authority about $30 million in the hole.

This bailout means that riders are guaranteed service until June 30, the end of the fiscal year. While the proposed fare hikes wouldn’t have immediately affected Pitt students — thank you sweet, sweet Pitt IDs — the service cuts would have. One of them would have limited 28X service to the airport — just in time for Spring Break!

So Rendell’s last-minute $25.3 million infusion is greatly appreciated. But the fact that we’ve repeated the same nail-biting ritual every year isn’t.

For all the newbies, the Port Authority polka goes something like this: the transportation budget is set during the summer. By mid-autumn, Port Authority declares that it’s terribly in debt and will have to cut all convenient bus routes and hike fares. Then Harrisburg and Pittsburgh squabble over its budget for a while. Occasionally, hunger-strike activists and Student Government Board get involved.

Spring comes and the service cuts are nigh. Then, through magic involving smoke, mirrors and shifts in funding, most of the cuts are avoided. By the time the budget is decided again, Harrisburg will have forgotten all about this dance, and come fall, the cycle of anxiety begins anew.

Now, while we’re getting good at this dance — it fills that lull between the Super Bowl and spring training — there must be a better way to do this. A more secure, dedicated source of funding would be a good way to end this Pennsylvania transit polka.

No public transportation system turns a profit. Yet having a functional bus and rail system is crucial to reviving the always-limping Pittsburgh economy and bringing more people Downtown. While walking all those blocks to the Point might be good exercise, we don’t think anyone will be taking that hike any time soon.

Pitt students need good bus service. While SafeRider and shuttle service go many places, they don’t extend to such Saturday-night destinations as the Waterfront or parts of Shadyside. After all, what’s classier than riding the bus on a date?

So, thank you, Governor Rendell. Between increased spending on higher education and keeping Port Authority, you’re certainly catering to students. This is remarkable, especially considering that we are likely to leave Pennsylvania after we graduate and are less likely to vote than the rest of voters.

But you’ve definitely earned our votes in the next election — even if you are an Eagles fan.