Presidential Personalities: Pat Creighton

By BEN GREINER

While sitting in Primanti Brothers restaurant and eating a cappiocola and cheese sandwich,… While sitting in Primanti Brothers restaurant and eating a cappiocola and cheese sandwich, Student Government Board presidential candidate Pat Creighton relished the fact he was finally able to rest.

After a day that included going to class and making the usual rounds of campaigning, Creighton was relieved to finally be able to take a few moments to relax and eat.

After a busy day of campaigning that included stops at Victoria Hall and the sororities of Sigma Sigma Sigma and Kappa Kappa Gamma, Creighton said he was glad he was able to spend time with a wide array of student groups.

“You try and talk to people as much as you can,” he said, after taking a bite of his sandwich. “It might not always work, but hey, at least you tried.”

The Philadelphia native admitted while some people may see him as a superior because of his current status as an SGB member, he is not unlike other Pitt students.

“I wake up and go to class like everybody else,” the Sigma Chi brother said. “I’m a normal college kid.”

Creighton, a dual major in political science and business, said he gets a great deal of his inspiration and competitive drive from his grandfather and mother, both of whom he is very close to. He said their guidance has forced him to become driven and ensure he will not rest until his goals are accomplished.

One such goal is the becoming a Pennsylvania congressman.

“Before my grandmother died, I promised her I’d become a congressman someday,” he said.

Teaching is not out of the question for Creighton, either. His mother, father and brothers all teach physical education. Creighton said he’d like to teach history or political science to high school students.

While finishing his sandwich, Creighton said he would do everything he could to listen to students’ opinions.

“Everyone’s voice has to be heard,” he said. “I’ll respect your opinions and want you to respect mine.”

As he prepared to leave the restaurant, Creighton knew he had to get a good night’s sleep. Tomorrow would be another busy day of campaigning – a day that would begin at 5:45 a.m.

Creighton said he looked forward to the days after the election so he could unwind and wear more comfortable clothes – clothes different than the blue dress shirt and gold tie he had been wearing all day.

“It will feel good to be able to sit around in some sweatpants,” he said, smiling.