Editorial: The Pitt News gives dating advice

By Staff Editorial

It’s time for us to make dating cool again.

The perception is that college students fixate on casual hookups while avoiding commitment. And this stigma makes some people feel uncomfortable about relationships.

Some might subscribe to the casual-hookup scene, but at least in The Pitt News office, we think dating is the best way to get to know people.

It doesn’t necessarily mean commitment, and it doesn’t necessarily mean a prospective hookup. But it is a valuable activity to get to know someone in a comfortable environment — and who doesn’t want to meet new people?

Here are a few dating tips from our editors, who have their share of both horror and success stories.

Make sure it’s one-on-one. If you don’t know your dating partner very well, it’s important that you don’t bring friends along. We know it might be comforting for you, but your date could feel awkward if presented with more people to get acquainted with.

Avoid car dates until you’re comfortable. This might seem basic, but a car is the last place you want to be if you don’t know your date well. There’s no easy exit, and you have very little control of where you’re going. Wait until the second or third date to drive together — until  then, it’s most prudent to meet your date at a public space.

Avoid hot-button issues. Talking about politics might show off your intellect (or not), but it’s best to get to know a person before discussing subjects that could cause disagreements. And if your date talks about sex on a first date, that could be a red flag. Choose your discussions wisely.

Who’s supposed to pay? We think the person who suggested the date should be expected to pay. It doesn’t matter if you’re female or male. We recommend, though, that the person who goes along be prepared to offer to pay his or her half, unless the partner knows the venue is out of his price range. Which brings us to our next point …

You don’t owe your date anything. If he or she foots the bill, you should be grateful and courteous — that’s it. You don’t owe him or her any sexual favors if they pay. Not even a goodnight kiss. And if you pay, you shouldn’t expect anything, either.

Finally, be up front. Don’t be afraid to ask someone on a date. We find that it’s easier to start with coffee and then work up to lunch or dinner. You can determine how long a coffee date lasts; with food involved, not so much. Explore these dating dynamics until you feel comfortable. That’s what it’s all about, right?