Editorial: Gingrich’s behavior contradicts his policy

By Staff Editorial

As entertaining as the GOP presidential candidates are this year, recent information about Newt Gingrich perked up our ears for reasons other than amusement. As entertaining as the GOP presidential candidates are this year, recent information about Newt Gingrich perked up our ears for reasons other than amusement.

One of the Harrisburg native’s two ex-wives recently came forward to The Washington Post, claiming that her ex-husband had suggested the two arrange an agreement for an open marriage so that he could see other women.

At last Thursday’s CNN presidential debate in South Carolina, Gingrich snapped at the first mention of the story. When asked about his ex-wife’s allegations, he avoided the question, calling it “despicable” and the interview “trash.” In his indignant response, he not only failed to address concerns about what happened between him and his wife; he also became a hypocrite in our eyes.

Aside from his failing to adhere to the notion that honesty is the best policy, it now appears that by failing to uphold fidelity within his own marriage, Gingrich has also contradicted the same Christian values he has preached.

Sure, we usually wouldn’t comment on — or even think twice about — a public figure’s relationship woes, and something like this could easily be dismissed as a bunch of sensationalist nonsense.

But this isn’t just about celebrity — it could seriously affect policy.

The accusation becomes relevant because Gingrich has created a narrative about family values and wrapped his entire policy — anti-same-sex marriage views and all — around them.

In essence, he has applied standards to other people that he hasn’t necessarily applied to himself. He’s in a different league, apparently. The rules just don’t apply to him, as shown by his escapism when prodded with a tough question about his own moral standing.

We aren’t decrying Gingrich because he didn’t live up to his own standards — we’re all human, after all. And just look at the case of former President Bill Clinton’s sex scandal in 1998. Once he came clean, the American people forgave him. Now he’s still with his wife, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and is also the darling of his own charitable foundation.

America prizes politicians who are honest — funny concept, we know — as well as those who admit their mistakes. It doesn’t appear that Mr. Gingrich is upholding either of those virtues.

We think open marriages can be totally successful when both marrying parties agree. And simply suggesting one is pretty benign, too. The problem with Gingrich’s situation is that he has built his entire campaign on his own personal narrative and then has proceeded to contradict in his own behaviors the same values he preaches in his policy.

The point is, it’s sickening to see Gingrich openly oppose same-sex marriage because it doesn’t adhere to Christian values while he turns around and violates the value of fidelity.

It’s hypocritical. It’s odd. It’s not fair.

And this is the kind of man who thinks he can hold office?

With hopes of balance and progressive policy coming out of the White House in the next four years, let’s just hope Gingrich doesn’t get that far.