Editorial: Child sex abuse bill insufficient

By Staff Editorial

Recent events at Penn State have caused many different reactions. Recent events at Penn State have caused many different reactions. People from all over — and especially Pennsylvanians — are discussing the issue ad nauseam, examining people’s legal and moral obligations, as well as the fall from grace of an administration, football program and local hero.

But in New York, there’s been a legislative reaction that comes just days after former Penn State President Graham Spanier and head football coach Joe Paterno were fired for failing to tell police about a credible report of child sex abuse on campus.

The New York bill would make such inactions illegal. It would require college coaches, athletic directors, administrators and professors to report child sex abuse to the police. If passed, the bill would add these college employees to a list that already places these obligations on high school teachers, physicians and coaches.

It’s very clear that this bill comes in reaction to the events that unfolded at Penn State last week. And we think that’s fine, and it’s good to look for a solid solution. But we also think it’s just too narrowly constructed to be effective.

By addressing child sex abuse on college campuses, the bill misses the mark. Its aim appears to be very focused but, after a closer look, it seems like it’s trying to score political points. By narrowing the bill to only include these college employees, how effective would it really be in preventing child sex abuse and bringing justice to those involved?

The smaller issue of reporting child sex abuse should not necessarily be the focus of this ordeal. The actual crime is a much bigger problem, and that’s where the focus needs to be. By addressing the child sex abuse itself, legislation would be much more effective.

For instance, lawmakers might look into nonprofits that work with children and examine how they operate and work from the inside out. And at colleges, where sexual abuse often runs rampant, there need to be institutional rules about conduct when it comes to minors.

Something as heinous as child sex abuse requires a lot more work than a tunnel-visioned bill that only addresses the residual problem after abuse takes place. According to The Philadelphia Inquirer, though, Pennsylvania state lawmakers predict the introduction and passage of similar legislation. We hope future abuse-related bills will be effective, precise and broader in their language.

The sex abuse scandal at Penn State — and the alleged cover-up that imbues it all — is a sad statement on the priorities of institutions of higher education. We’re glad lawmakers are convening in response to such a tragedy coming to light, but the nation needs more efficient protocol if it wants to prevent institutionalized wrongdoing.

In the meantime, we just have to wish there wouldn’t be a need for a law like this in the first place. In a better world, people wouldn’t wait for the long arm of the law to direct them to do the right thing.