Editorial: Penn State’s reputation tarnished

By Staff Editorial

Events this weekend shone light on an issue that hits close to home for us at Pitt. Events this weekend shone light on an issue that hits close to home for us at Pitt.

Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky was charged with 40 criminal counts related to a child-abuse case against him. Penn State Athletic Director Tim Curley and interim Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Gary Schultz are both charged with perjury and failure to report the alleged incidents to proper authorities following the charges posed against Sandusky.

One individual typically cannot bring disgrace to an entire institution, but the fact that several administrators are under fire concerns us for Penn State’s future. University President Graham Spanier and even head football coach Joe Paterno have also been criticized for how they handled the alleged situation. No official decision has been made on the allegedly involved parties, and they are innocent until proven guilty. But the scandal has already taken its toll on what was formerly lauded as a clean, moral university.

Merely juxtaposing the Penn State name with child abuse is damaging enough. Alumni might think twice about their donations. Future applicants might be inclined to opt for other schools. The legacy of Penn State football might crumble.

It’s a shame, but if these allegations are proven true, Penn State’s administration will have to take steps to better itself — not only to rebuild its reputation, but also its integrity. No similar scandal in recent college history has concerned the nation more than this one. If the university really did try to cover something up, it could have caused more damage and suffering than it would have by punishing the initial wrongdoer.

And what about other schools? The possibility of something like this happening will likely be a blow to universities nationwide. If it can potentially happen at Penn State, where else might this be going on?

Regardless, we think there needs to be a strict code of conduct when it comes to reporting incidents like child abuse. There is a moral duty — and an arguably intrinsic one for most of us — that one has to go to the police if he knows of something so serious.

Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a minor, one of Sandusky’s charges, is a class-one felony. According to the grand jury presentment, a graduate assistant allegedly reported to Paterno that he saw Sandusky having sex with a minor in a locker-room shower, and that information did not make its way to police.

What would be your first inclination if you witnessed an armed robbery, another class-one felony? Without hesitation — and if our lives weren’t in danger — we’d take the information to police and let them handle it.

If you have the unfortunate experience of seeing something horrific — be it rape, robbery, assault or anything else that endangers the well-being of another person — you have an obligation to report it, if you won’t incur any harm. And the police should be the first people you speak to. More harm can come about if these events stay under wraps. Predators rack up countless victims because events often go unreported.

What’s alleged here is vile and does not reflect the values of higher education. We hope that wrongdoers are punished and the innocent are able to clear their names. Penn State students, athletes and supporters do not deserve to see their school’s reputation disintegrate, and justice needs to be served as soon as possible.

But for now, all we can do is wait and wonder how something like this could possibly happen so close to home.