Basketball Preview: Barton returns to Pittsburgh as Pitt assistant

By Chris Fanelli

Bill Barton’s first taste of Division I basketball was only two miles down the road at… Bill Barton’s first taste of Division I basketball was only two miles down the road at Duquesne University.

Now, the new Pitt men’s basketball assistant coach has come back to the Steel City to take a position on head coach Jamie Dixon’s staff.

“I like Pittsburgh,” he said. “It’s a nice city. I like living in Pittsburgh. Obviously, the fan base at Pitt is a lot larger and a lot more dedicated [than at Duquesne]. It’s good to be in this type of environment. You know you’re going to get 12,500 people a night, and I’m really looking forward to it. I’m very glad I’m back.”

Barton and his years of Division I-level experience replaced Pat Skerry, who took a head coaching job at Towson University in Maryland after last season.

One of the biggest assets that Barton brings to the Pitt program is his recruiting ability, especially in the Northeast and along the East Coast.

“With his numerous recruiting contacts, Bill will help us in recruiting, scouting and player development,” head coach Jamie Dixon said after he hired Barton in April. “We are fortunate to have a coach with his well-rounded and vast background.”

Barton started gaining contacts, especially on the East Coast, when he was a head coach for Notre Dame Preparatory School in Massachusetts. While there, he worked to make contact with and recruit from Amateur Athletic Union programs as well as some of the larger high schools.

“As we went on, I would get hundreds of calls to fill spots and I was able to build relationships with all the big AAU programs on the East Coast,” he said. “It’s really a relationship business, and to be able to have those relationships and those contacts helps me.”

But Barton brings more than just contacts. Pitt players said they are already feeling the effects of his presence.

“Coach Barton’s a talkative person. In practice he tells us, ‘Get on the floor, play hard,’” redshirt freshman Isaiah Epps said. “He’s constantly in our ear, making sure that everyday we come to practice and play hard. He doesn’t want any slacking.”

Barton said he just wants to blend in with the program and help continue the winning ways established by the former members of the coaching staff.

“I’ve come to help in any way that Coach Dixon or the staff deem necessary,” he said. “Whatever they think I might be able to help them with is what I’m gonna do.”

Barton is an enthusiastic basketball fan and brings his sizeable passion for the game with him to Pitt. As the season tips off, he won’t only be focused on the court.

He’s very excited to experience Pitt’s renowned student section, the Oakland Zoo.

“I’ve seen the Oakland Zoo on TV, and it’s fantastic,” he said. “I’m looking forward to watching them and listening to them. Hopefully if there’s a lull in the game I can glance over there and see what they’re up to.”