Dining Guide: Primanti Bros. or cheesesteaks?

By Staff Editorial

One of the great things about Pitt’s student body is that it’s anything but homogeneous and… One of the great things about Pitt’s student body is that it’s anything but homogeneous and anything but close-minded. Not only do we associate with persons of an array of political parties and subcultures — we even make food preferences part of our identity.

Two years ago, an editorial in our Dining Guide evaluated the strengths and weaknesses of Antoon’s and Sorrento’s pizza (the overall superior product remained undecided). Now, we’ve decided to address another culinary debate that’s preoccupied our campus for decades: cheesesteaks versus Primanti Bros. sandwiches.

What this dispute is often reduced to, of course, is a battle between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh — or, more broadly, Eastern and Western Pennsylvania. Indeed, much like the participants in the ongoing Wawa versus Sheetz and “soda” versus “pop” arguments, the champions of each sandwich are split neatly along longitudinal lines.

It’s important, however, not to let regional allegiances obscure the actual merits of the foods. As such, we’ve abstained from any arguments regarding the superiority of one locale over the other and let the facts speak for themselves.

The merits of Primanti Brothers sandwiches

First and foremost, Primanti’s sandwiches facilitate creativity. Their basic ingredients — meat, coleslaw, fries — are compatible with countless variations (throw in an egg or two, replace the beef with fish). Cheesesteaks, by contrast, are traditionally static (onions and peppers are among the few recognized toppings).

Primanti sandwiches are also a distinct product, unlike cheesesteaks, which can be procured at countless establishments in the Philly area, not to mention the rest of the United States. The Pittsburgh staple has an acute, unmatched taste and aesthetic.

The merits of (Philadelphia) cheesesteaks

A good cheesesteak — one purchased at, say, Pat’s King of Steaks or Geno’s Steaks — boasts something the maximalist Primanti Bros. recipe can never achieve: simplicity. There’s a basic formula involved, but a formula that works so well you’d be a moron to tamper with it. Conservatism and tradition make the sandwich.

This adherence to tradition usually necessitates a highly specified, highly refined set of ingredients: the chipped beef used in many esteemed restaurants, the high-quality bread — even the notorious Cheez Whiz. Sure, Primanti Bros. has a time-tested formula as well, but it’s not nearly as well known, nor as venerated.

Also, while cheesesteaks are available across the country, Philadelphians would maintain that they’re simply not the same outside city limits. And perhaps they’re right: Primanti Bros. has branches outside the region; Pat’s and Geno’s do not.

We won’t delude ourselves into thinking this exercise will change peoples’ allegiances — our own editorial board couldn’t come to a definitive conclusion on which was the superior sandwich. We do hope, however, that a neutral newcomer — someone from out of state, say, or even the middle of the state — can use this editorial as a basis for picking a side, without, hopefully, refusing to acknowledge the strengths of both sandwiches.