Pitt football pauses team activities for COVID-19 protocols

Sarah Cutshall | Visual Editor

The Pitt football program has paused all team-related activities “due to COVID-related protocols,” the team announced Thursday evening. 

By Alex Lehmbeck, Sports Editor

As a result, the Panthers’ game at Georgia Tech on Saturday has been postponed to Saturday, Dec. 12. Pitt’s home matchup with Virginia Tech on Nov. 21 remains unaffected at this time.

“While I know our team was excited and prepared to play a game on Saturday, this is the right and responsible decision for our student-athletes and staff,” head coach Pat Narduzzi said in a statement. “We will continue to assemble virtually until we’re given the green light.”

The football team is now the third Pitt varsity program to halt operations for COVID-19 concerns in the past two weeks. The Pitt men’s soccer team and both swimming and diving teams  paused team-related activities on Oct. 28 and Nov. 4, respectively. 

“We are fortunate to have an outstanding group of doctors and medical professionals providing us daily consultation in this challenging environment,” Pitt Director of Athletics Heather Lyke said. “Our protocols have prepared us to anticipate and manage these circumstances. Our top priority will always be the health and well-being of our student-athletes, coaches and staff.

Pitt had one player absent from last Saturday’s game against Florida State due to COVID-related protocols, breaking the team’s five-game streak without any COVID-related absences.