TV addict needs to find fix

By Randi Alu

I began mourning this weekend, after the 10th and final episode of the first season of “Game… I began mourning this weekend, after the 10th and final episode of the first season of “Game of Thrones” aired on HBO. The second season will not premiere until next summer, and I had just come off the withdrawal shakes from the end of the first season of AMC’s “The Walking Dead.” Oh, TV, how you destroy me.

It occurred to me then that there must be something out there for fans of a TV show during its downtime. I’ve put together a list of a few strategies to help watchers cope with the pain of waiting for the next season of a favorite series.

Read it:

As they say on the Internet, “Every repost is a repost of a repost.” Although infuriating when trying to find a shred of original content, this truth is good news for those of us who find ourselves pining for our beloved storylines, because, behold: They have been adapted from something else.

As for my favorites, “Game of Thrones” is based on a book series by George R. R. Martin titled “A Song of Ice and Fire.” “A Game of Thrones” is the first book in that series. Likewise, “The Walking Dead” was a trade comic series that now can be found in a paperback compendium.

Your favorite show probably came from a print version first too — or even a remake or spin-off of an older movie or TV series. Have at it, and be relieved until the next season is available to be visually devoured.

Research it:

Along those same lines, chances are that the director, actors, writers, etc., have worked on other projects. To find those, IMDb and Netflix are your best friends. Search to your heart’s content.

Although what you’ll find will be a bit different from the exact show you were watching, you’ll see other works, and they’ll likely contain some of that person’s quintessential characteristics that you’ve come to love. And who knows, you might find that your show has a pairing like the Tim Burton/Johnny Depp combo that is so successful in the movies, and you’ll have even more to love.

Socialize it:

After the “Game of Thrones” twist at the end of the penultimate episode, the Twitterverse exploded. While some exasperatedly exclaimed that the book series had been out since the ’90s so it was obvious what would happen, most ignored these posts and kept passionately proclaiming their thoughts using the hashtag of the episode title: “#baelor.” HBO had tweeted it prior to the episode so that all following the “Game of Thrones” Twitter knew to use that tag and could all be connected when talking about the episode.

I was in heaven — everyone just as obsessed with the show as me were all grouped in one place talking about the same thing. The Internet is an infinite, diverse place, and your comrades are waiting. So, hashtag it up, use Facebook, blog, whatever; use any social network you like, just as long as you’re not alone in your suffering and can relive your favorite parts by discussion.

And now for something completely different:

Find another fixation — one that will divert your tormented mind from your dearly beloved show. I find myself rediscovering my love of reality trash-TV during the downtime. It’s something you don’t have to think about, is easy to follow and makes you feel better about yourself, and you can take out your rage on it by telling the characters that they’re stupid to their faces — even though they can’t hear you.

Scope out Hulu or AdultSwim.com for episodes of long-running shows and cartoons that you’ve missed by going to bed early or working late. Get on that playlist and by the time it’s done, it’ll be time to be excited because the premiere of the new season you’ve been anticipating since that great finale crept up on you, and you’ll be in the mood for drama again.

Buy it:

Cave in. You know you want to shell out the cash, so why deny it? Show it to every sibling, new friend or partner. Pou’ll pop it in the player, and walk back to the couch saying, “This series is art! Art, I tell you!” while your friends roll their eyes. You know you will — resign yourself to that fact, and try not to hate yourself for being a raving fanboy/girl.

And a special note to whomever has Martin’s “A Game of Thrones” checked out of Hillman right now: Please read it and pass it on … I need my fix, man.s