Editorial: French burqa ban sets bad example

By Staff Editorial

For some, France might conjure up images of topless beaches, impeccable fashion and free-flowing… For some, France might conjure up images of topless beaches, impeccable fashion and free-flowing armpit hair.

But more recently, France now conjures up images of racism and intolerance. At least for us it does.

A law went into effect yesterday banning Islamic burqas and niqabs in the country. Breaking that law results in a 150-euro (or $215) fine, CNN reports. In addition, “forcing a woman to wear a niqab or burqa is punishable by a year in prison and a 30,000-euro fine (about $43,300).” The ban also applies to foreigners visiting France, according to The New York Times.

Because France’s constitution protects freedom of religion, we find this ban unacceptable.

For a country so progressive in so many other ways — such as health care — this law takes France a serious step back and gives all of Europe a bad name. After all, it was only a few decades ago that some European countries were prosecuting Jews and Roma — the latter known colloquially as gypsies.

The law alienates migrants rather than integrating them in a nation that is cherished for its multiculturalism. This alienation is dangerous as it potentially encourages extremists rather than moderates.

And for what purpose? What interest does the ban serve?

The New York Times reports that France’s President Nicolas Sarkozy said, “The burqa is not welcome in France because it is contrary to our values and contrary to the ideals we have of a woman’s dignity.”

And whereas some Muslim women support the ban, those who practice Islam have the choice of whether they want to wear the garment or not. France takes the choice away.

In addition, the bill is defended on grounds of public security.

But France is not a country generally suffering from extremist attacks. The United Kingdom — which has suffered from extremist attacks more often — did not implement a similar ban indicating that there are options for public security other than limiting freedoms.

According to CNN, French people supported the ban by a ratio of more than 4-to-1 whereas two out of three Americans opposed it. Regardless of the clear cultural gap that exists between the American and French populations, we can’t help but fear the international implications of such a ban.

This ban sets a precedent for other countries and also damages international relations — particularly with France serving as a member of the European Union and United Nations.

USA Today reports that the Muslim population is growing at a faster rate than all other religious  groups combined. For a country to be passing racist policies unsuccessfully disguised as public safety to such a large portion of the population is disappointing in a nation that has — until recently — taken such great strides in tolerance.