The Decemberists take cue from R.E.M.

By Sara Pecora

Fans of The Decemberists were decidedly split over their last album — the monumentous rock opera The Hazards of Love — which caused some to be wary of its follow-up, The King is Dead. I actually find this album to be a step down from The Hazards of Love, though I am likely in the minority and still quite like this album. The Decemberists

The King is Dead

Capitol Records

Rocks Like: R.E.M., The Band, Neil Young

Grade: A-

Fans of The Decemberists were decidedly split over their last album — the monumentous rock opera The Hazards of Love — which caused some to be wary of its follow-up, The King is Dead. I actually find this album to be a step down from The Hazards of Love, though I am likely in the minority and still quite like this album.

Vocalist Colin Meloy has stated that this album is inspired by R.E.M. — a fact which is immediately obvious from tracks like “Down by the Water,” which is painfully close to “Losing My Religion.” The R.E.M. comparison is not helped by the fact that the Peter Buck makes guest appearances on some of the tracks.

This is not to say, however, that the album is a complete rip off of, say, Out of Time. The R.E.M. influences are subtle in most tracks, minus “Down by the Water” and perhaps “This is Why We Fight” — which is more generic ’90s alternative than anything.

In general, the 10-track album has more of a fusion of generic adult alternative and country folk, with a bit more of a southern splash than I would expect from The Decemberists. It does, however still retain some of the antiquated charm of the band’s usual albums. “Rox in the Box,” for instance, seems to hearken back to older tracks from the band like “Engine Driver” with accordions and fiddles.

The album is fast-paced with subtle sadness, slowing down for “January Hymn” and “Dear Avery.” The former of those times is soft, pretty and quiet indie folk, whereas the latter is more country folk, but both are welcome breaks in an emotionally charged album.

Those who were less ecstatic about The Hazards of Love or who enjoy country and folk are sure to find something to like.