Football: Mason demoted to second team defense

By Alex Oltmanns

Head football coach Dave Wannstedt demoted starting middle linebacker Dan Mason to the… Head football coach Dave Wannstedt demoted starting middle linebacker Dan Mason to the second-team defense yesterday after police said he was in the car with running back Jason Douglas during a Sunday morning accident in the South Side.

Court documents said Mason, a 19-year-old sophomore, was a passenger in the car, and he has not been charged with any crimes.

Douglas, also 19, now faces charges of driving under the influence, aggravated assault by vehicle while DUI, causing an accident involving personal injury and underage drinking, according to court documents. He has been suspended indefinitely from the team.

Wannstedt thought Mason’s presence in the car was enough to warrant a punishment.

“Dan has got to understand and learn to make better decisions as far as what he’s doing, where he’s at, who he’s with, and as a result, I moved Dan to second-team middle linebacker,” Wannstedt said at a news conference.

“As I told Dan and his mother this morning, this is for his good. He needs to prove to me that he can do the right things and be accountable off the field, in the classroom and on the football field,” Wannstedt said. “When he does that, he’ll get his job back.”

Mason leads the Panthers with 13 tackles through two games this season.

Wannstedt said that Max Gruder, the current starter at strong-side linebacker, will shift to middle linebacker to take Mason’s place starting at the Miami game.

Mason could not be reached for comment last night.