Pitt football player arrested

By Alex Oltmanns

Pitt running back Jason Douglas has been suspended indefinitely from the team after he was… Pitt running back Jason Douglas has been suspended indefinitely from the team after he was accused of driving under the influence and injuring a person in the South Side Sunday morning.

In addition to the DUI charge, Douglas, 19, also faces charges of  aggravated assault by vehicle while DUI, causing an accident involving personal injury and underage drinking.

According to court documents, Douglas, a redshirt freshman, was involved in the accident near the intersection of East Carson and 22nd streets before police  found him in his car on Sarah Street.

Police came to the scene at about 2 a.m. to find the victim, Christopher Paul, lying in the street with head injuries.

He was driven to a UPMC Mercy and had been discharged by Monday evening.

Douglas and the passenger in his car, sophomore linebacker Dan Mason, were not injured in the accident, and Mason was not charged with any crimes.

Douglas’ blood-alcohol level was reported to be 0.178, which is more than twice the legal limit to drive in Pennsylvania.

He was released from jail on $500 bond and will have a preliminary hearing Oct. 21.

Douglas played in both games so far this season as a running back as well as a kick returner.

Douglas could not be reached for comment Monday, and athletic department spokespeople declined to comment, aside from confirming Douglas’ suspension.