Oltmanns: Pitt football will prove doubters wrong this season

By Alex Oltmanns

What’s up everyone? Being that this is the first edition of this school year’s Pitt News, it’s also my first weekly column of the year… What’s up everyone? Being that this is the first edition of this school year’s Pitt News, it’s also my first weekly column of the year.

I will write about a variety of sports topics. Not just Pitt sports, but all things going on in the sports world in general.

For this week, I wanted to share my thoughts about this year’s Pitt football team.

This is probably the team’s most highly anticipated season in the past 10 years, and certainly in coach Dave Wannstedt’s tenure.

The team is ranked No. 15 in the AP Top 25 preseason poll and was almost unanimously picked to win the Big East.

It has All-Americans all over the field with defensive end Greg Romeus, receiver Jon Baldwin, left tackle Jason Pinkston and Heisman candidate, running back Dion Lewis.

Yet, there are still plenty of doubters out there.

I was watching ESPN the other day and college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit picked Connecticut to win the Big East.

Connecticut? Really?

He’s entitled to his opinion and he really knows the game, but he’s simply one of a microcosm of people who choose to focus on Pitt’s “question marks” coming into the season at quarterback, cornerback and the interior of the offensive line.

After watching the team’s training camp every day for the better part of August, I would like to put those questions to rest.

First off, Pitt will be just fine at quarterback with first-year starter Tino Sunseri. Yes, he has limited experience in games, but he’s been groomed to be the starter since last season.

He took every single rep as the first-team quarterback in spring practice and in training camp, something no other Panther quarterback has had the luxury of receiving in recent years because of quarterback controversies.

To add to that, he has all the physical tools needed to be successful. His arm is strong, and he has the speed to escape from the pocket and take off and run when his numerous talented receiving options are covered.

So don’t look for any drop-off in production at quarterback from last season. In fact, the team might eventually be able to open the playbook a little more than last year.

Now onto the secondary, where, after losing last year’s starters, Aaron Berry and Jovani Chappel, at cornerback, new players would need to step up.

They have.

Antwuan Reed had a great spring to earn the Ed Conway Award as the defense’s most improved player and Ricky Gary solidified himself as the other starter at cornerback with a great training camp this summer.

Gary had the daunting assignment of covering Baldwin for the majority of camp and more than held his own. In one practice, he even intercepted three passes.

I mean, c’mon, Gary’s earned the nickname “Sticky” Ricky for his ability to stick, or stay close, to receivers. The guy’s got to be good.

As for the interior of the offensive line, it still has something to prove. Its members will get their first chance to do that on Thursday against Utah.

The line is rock solid on the outside with Pinkston and junior right tackle Lucas Nix.

But on the inside of the line, the Panthers have to replace three seniors from last season.

Chris Jacobson stepped up early in camp to win the job of left guard, former walk-on Alex Karabin will be the starting center and Greg Gaskins will open the season as the starting right guard.

So I guess the jury is still out on those players, at least for now. But I don’t think it will be for long.

Maybe only until they pave the way for Dion Lewis to run wild on Utah’s defense.

Then, we’ll see if people are still picking Connecticut to win the league.