Basketball: Former Panther point guard named assistant coach

By Alex Oltmanns

There will be another familiar face joining the bench of the Pitt women’s basketball… There will be another familiar face joining the bench of the Pitt women’s basketball team this season.

Coach Agnus Berenato named former Panther point guard Mallorie Winn as an assistant coach Tuesday.

The move will bring Winn back to the same school where she totaled over a thousand career points from 2005-2008 after transferring from Georgia Tech.

“It is with great excitement and pride that we welcome Mallorie back into our Pitt home,” Berenato said in a press release. “Having recruited and coached Mallorie as a student-athlete at Georgia Tech and then at Pitt, I was able to see firsthand the tremendous qualities that Mallorie brings to a team.

In the 2005-2006 season, Winn was named to the All-Big East Second Team before leading the Panthers to the semifinals of the WNIT.

She missed the entire season the year after with an injury, but still ranks No. 12 in school history with 252 assists in her career.

“Pittsburgh feels like home, and I’m happy to be back,” Winn said in the press release. “I look forward to returning to the place that essentially birthed my athletic career and allowed me to pursue my educational goals.”

Winn was the head coach at The Campus School at Carlow University last season.

She is the third assistant coach to join the Panthers this offseason, following the hiring’s of Patty Coyle and Khadija Head earlier this summer.