Editorial: Browsing through the neighborhood

By Staff Editorial

Pittsburgh has been on the national stage a lot lately, whether for the recent “Most… Pittsburgh has been on the national stage a lot lately, whether for the recent “Most Livable City” ranking by Forbes.com, our successful sports teams or the Big Ben scandal. For a smaller city, we have an impressive, picturesque skyline — one that’s the seemingly default image when it comes to showing off the city.

If you’re from the area, you know that some of Pittsburgh’s most vibrant, cultural and happening areas are found away from the city’s center. And if you’re not, you’re likely not as familiar with its personality-packed, distinctive neighborhoods. Here’s where the new website, pittsburghcityliving.com, could come in handy. It’s a site that showcases Pittsburgh’s neighborhoods and helps those moving to Pittsburgh find a suitable area to live.

Hopefully, Pittsburgh’s successes will attract people to the area. But unless they take a full-blown tour, they might miss out on some of the city’s most exciting — and most livable — areas. Plus, Pittsburgh’s image as a smoggy, steel city just won’t blow over. That’s a very outdated image, especially in the neighborhoods. We hope the site will help curb these beliefs.

Actually going to neighborhoods is the best way to check them out, but online is the next best option. Although it’s intended for new residents, the site could be equally helpful for new Pitt — or any area college — students. Current students and residents would probably learn a few new things, too, and could adventure to some new areas.