Softball: Panthers play full game’s worth of extra innings over weekend

By Torie Wytiaz

The Pitt softball team was scheduled to play three games over the weekend, but it turned out… The Pitt softball team was scheduled to play three games over the weekend, but it turned out to be a bit more than that.

The Panthers (20-16, 4-4 Big East) battled Georgetown (15-20, 5-4 Big East) through two extra-inning games with Pitt winning the first in 10 innings by a score of 3-2 and Georgetown taking the third game 2-1 in 11 innings. The Panthers won the series with a 9-1 victory in between the two extra-inning games.

A typical softball game consists of seven innings, so the Panthers essentially added another game through extra innings.

“These teams were evenly matched,” head coach Holly Aprile said. “I think that led to the two extra-inning games and the close play throughout the series.”

The 11-inning loss cost the Panthers the series sweep, which is always valuable against a fellow Big East team.

However, Aprile noted that she was pleased with winning two out of three.

“Of course, it would have been nice to get the sweep over Georgetown, but I feel that we played well overall,” Aprile said. “I am proud of the entire team for their play over the weekend.”

In the series, junior Alyssa O’Connell pitched a total of 22 innings and recorded both of the Panthers’ wins, bringing her season victory total to nine. O’Connell has an ERA of 1.75 and has struck out 79 batters this year.

“O’Connell was just excellent for us this weekend, and I can see her getting better in each inning,” Aprile said. “She works incredibly hard, and that is definitely paying off for her and the team.”

Also working hard was freshman catcher Holly Stevens. Stevens started all three games behind the plate and recorded 21 putouts.

“Stevens is such a solid overall player, especially as a freshman, and her performance behind the plate has been consistent all year,” Aprile said.

While the pitching and defense have found success, the offensive production of the Panthers has been lacking.

“We need to be able to have quality plate appearances,” Aprile said. “With an increase in offense combined with our pitching, success will be inevitable.”

The Panther offense was inconsistent during the Georgetown series, as they were out-hit in both extra-inning games. However, the Panthers recorded 13 hits against the Hoyas in the 9-1 victory.

Included in those 13 hits were homeruns by junior Reba Tutt and sophomore Ciera Damon and a three-hit performance by sophomore designated hitter Amanda Heitmeier.

“Tutt was a bright spot at the plate this weekend,” Aprile said. “As our leadoff batter, she was successful in slapping and getting on base.”

Also contributing to the Panther offense was sophomore Niki Cognigni. She has struggled in the first part of the season but earned four hits and drove in two runs against Georgetown.

“Cognigni really came around this weekend,” Aprile said. “She is a much better hitter than her current statistics indicate, and I think that this was a good indication of her capabilities.”

The Panthers will not return to action until Saturday when they host another conference rival, St. John’s, for a three-game series.

However, the week off from competitive play will be used to the Panthers’ advantage.

“The main goal of this week will be to rest,” Aprile said. “After three games, two of them being extra-innings, the players need to take time off before coming back fresh and ready to take on the next opponent.”

Aprile added that “quite a bit of hitting” will take place during practice to try to fix the offensive troubles.