Shea: The summer festival line-up looks bright

By Kelsey Shea

As seemingly endless mounds of snow continue to impose themselves on Pittsburgh, it’s getting… As seemingly endless mounds of snow continue to impose themselves on Pittsburgh, it’s getting increasingly hard to believe that in four short months we could be lounging on lawns wearing flip-flops, shorts and sunglasses, drinking beer and enjoying live music.

But the lineups for the top summer music festivals are coming in, and as usual, it looks like there are going to be some great shows.

Sure, they’re not exactly local to we poor Pittsburghers. Bigger cities in the Northeast, Midwest and Southwest are, as always, going to host the biggest festivals. But there are some that happen a little closer to home, such as All Good (down in West Virginia) that will feature The Yonder Mountain String Band, Widespread Panic and George Clinton. Even though they don’t boast the big-name lineups, they are definitely worth checking out for that unique festival atmosphere.

So here are the lineups and lowdowns on this summer’s top festivals, listed east to west.

All Points West Festival 2010: July 31–Aug. 2

Jersey City, N.J.

Price: $239

Overview: All Points West celebrates the coming to America of millions of immigrants that took place at Liberty State Park, the festival’s venue, by bringing some of the country’s best acts together.

Highlights: Jay-Z, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Vampire Weekend, Gogol Bordello, MGMT, Lykke Li, The National

Siren Music Festival: July 17

Coney Island, N.Y.

Price: Free

Overview: Every two years this one-day festival takes over Coney Island for a day and floods the area with bands like Ra Ra Riot, Stephen Malkmus and the Scissor Sisters. Produced by The Village Voice, Siren looks to showcase up-and-coming talent and celebrate New York’s music scene.

Highlights: Bear Hands, Built to Spill, Spank Rock, The Raveonettes

North by Northeast: June 16-20

Toronto, Canada

Price: $150 for a “Priority Pass”

Overview: The North’s answer to South by Southwest takes over Toronto’s many venues and bars along Queen Street West for five days to showcase films on the weekdays and rock the city with concerts on the weekend.

Highlights: Not announced.

Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival 2010: June 11 – 14

Manchester, Tenn.

Price: $249.50

Overview: Indie’s biggest names will once again come together on a 700-acre farm in Tennessee for the eighth year. The now famous music festival is a staple of summer as thousands of music lovers flock to Manchester, TN.

Highlights: Dave Matthews Band, Weezer, The Flaming Lips, Jeff Beck

Pitchfork Music Festival 2010: July 16 – 18

Chicago, Ill.

Price: Sold out

Overview: Pitchfork Media takes music from their blog to the streets of Chicago. The festival features indie artists they’ve covered (and probably pretentiously bashed to some degree). With a smaller lineup than most, Pitchfork went for quality over quantity and looks to be a solid show.

Highlights: Modest Mouse, LCD Soundsystem, Raekwon, St. Vincent

Lollapalooza 2010: Aug. 6 – 8

Chicago, Ill.

Price: $175

Overview: Later in the summer, Chicago will see another surge of talent with another famous music festival: Lollapalooza. Grant Park will host over 50 of indie’s hottest bands.

Highlights: The Decemberists, Ben Folds, Kings of Leon, Andrew Bird

Sasquatch! Music Festival: May 29 – 31

Quincy, Wash.

Price: $170

Overview: By far, the coolest thing about Sasquatch (other than the massive and amazing lineup) is the venue. The Gorge Amphitheatre’s beautiful backdrop will blow you away before the concert even starts.

Highlights: Pavement, Broken Social Scene, The National, My Morning Jacket

Regardless of whether or not you’re actually planning to pack up your dad’s tent into a Volkswagen van and hoof it west, hookah in hand or just sit behind your computer fantasizing about it, it’s still exciting to check out the lineups.

If nothing else than a pipe dream, it’s a nice reminder that summer is coming — no matter how slowly its approach may seem.