St. Vincent graces Pittsburgh

By Kelsey Shea

When most people watch “Snow White,” they see a princess, a prince, some woodland… When most people watch “Snow White,” they see a princess, a prince, some woodland creatures, a tainted apple and a some dwarves. When the movie is over, they get up, start thinking about their homework and make themselves a sandwich. However, when Annie Clark, better known as St. Vincent, watches an old Disney movie, she doesn’t make sandwiches when she’s done — she makes music — and that’s how her sophomore album Actor came to be.

You can hear hints of fairytale-appropriate whims in the ethereal and whimsical album that Clark is now taking on tour and will perform in Pittsburgh on Sunday.

The process of writing the album was just as unique as the inspiration for the Tulsa-born singer-songwriter. In her New York City apartment high noise levels weren’t an option with neighbors just on the other side of a wall, so Clark used her computer and Garage Band to score out what would soon be her new album.

“It was an interesting process because I wasn’t necessarily relying on my motor skills and hand coordination,” Clark said. “I was more watching old Disney movies from the ’30s and ’40s and sort of trying to re-score them and re-conceptualize them, and really the only tools at my disposal were a computer and a mouse and my ears and the films.“

Actor has come a long way since classic Disney movies inspired Clark. The 27-year-old rising indie star has since replaced the digital scores with her own instrumentals, recorded the album and taken it on tour.

Having opened up on tours for The National, Grizzly Bear, Arcade Fire, Andrew Bird, John Vanderslice and Death Cab for Cutie, touring is nothing new for Clark. There is something special about this one, though — it is the first major U.S. tour where St. Vincent has been the headlining act, and she said so far it’s been a great experience.

“You get to bring your own light show and really have the whole night geared toward your own experience. It’s more work, but it’s more fun, and it’s more gratifying, too,” Clark said, adding that it’s the fans that have made it really great.

For fans to feel as connected to Clark as she feels to them, is hardly surprising. As an avid Twitter user, blogger and backstage-video poster, getting to know Clark outside of her music is anything but tough.

“I think that in the olden days there was a lot of mystery about the artists that you like, and I think that that mystery is way more difficult to maintain now,” she said. “And I think that that’s OK. I think what a lot of times fans want and is now expected is to not just like a band’s music but also feel a personal connection to their artist of choice.”

It’s not just the fans that Clark connects with. She’s played in Sufijian Steven and The Polyphonic Spree’s bands and has recently added recording with The New Pornographers to her musical resume.

As a long-time Neko Case fan, she said it’s an honor to work with such talented artists.

“For me, it’s all about getting to play music on my own and also play music with other bands and artists who I really admire, so I’ve gotten that opportunity,” Clark said. “It feels very exciting and very gratifying to be among other artists who I respect and admire.”

What’s next for Clark, now that she’s sitting on top of the indie scene looking forward?

Clark isn’t really sure specifically what’s next for her, but it probably includes another album and maybe more touring. She does know that there will be “lots of music in a lot of different ways” — something we can all thank the saints for.