A Jonas Brother gets his own Administration

By Brian Pope

Nick Jonas & The Administration

Who I Am

Hollywood Records

Who I Am

Hollywood Records

Rocks Like: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band (Nick wishes)

Grade: C+

Justin Timberlake, Beyonce and Michael Jackson have all done it and subsequently became bigger stars, but does breaking away from a hit group always lead to greater fame and acclaim?

For the youngest and first of the Jonas Brothers to go solo (even if only temporarily), Nick Jonas, the answer is yes.

That yes, of course, is a conclusion drawn solely from the tendency of teenage girls to obsess over the exploits of Nick, his brothers and other Disney Channel-spawned musical acts like Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez. Who I Am includes 10 tracks that could have easily been recorded by Kevin, Joe and Nick and released on any one of their multi-platinum albums.

One thing that Nick’s generally earnest lyrics and capable lead vocals convey, though, is an unexpectedly high level of humility. Jonas has proven through his charity work for type 1 diabetes   — a disease that he himself has — that he does not let his fame go to his head. The passion that he brings to this album — particularly on tracks like “Tonight” and “Vesper’s Goodbye” — is only a further reminder of that fact.

While most of Nick Jonas’ fans will be melting at the sincere plea for acceptance in the world that he makes in the album’s title track, their parents will be silently thanking him for providing their children with age-appropriate music of some substance.