University to help students stranded by snow

By Vaughn Wallace

Pitt spokesman John Fedele said most students whose flights have been delayed or cancelled by… Pitt spokesman John Fedele said most students whose flights have been delayed or cancelled by snow will be able to stay in University housing past the initial move-out deadline.

But if those students want to stay past noon Sunday, they need to call Panther Central, he said. Students can contact Panther Central by calling 412-648-1100.

A winter storm moved into the Pittsburgh area late last night, blanketing the region with several inches of snow.

By 9 a.m. Saturday, 2 to 3 inches of snow covered the rooftop of parked cars. The National Weather Service predicts that the snow will continue falling throughout the day.

Pitt maintenance crews were out early this morning spreading ice-melt and shoveling snow from walkways. As of 11 a.m., snow still covered much of Forbes Avenue throughout Oakland, leaving traffic moving at a reduced speed. The National Weather Service issued a winter weather advisory, which will end at 6 a.m. tomorrow.

The Upper Campus Shuttle (10A) is operating, and the Pitt-Stop on the corner of Forbes and Bigelow is open for business.

Port Authority buses have been moving along Forbes and Fifth avenues and Bigelow Boulevard, although the Port Authority said the weather could cause 30- to 45-minute delays.

Some students said their flights departing from Pittsburgh International Airport have been cancelled or delayed, leaving them wondering how they’ll get home. Most of Pitt’s dormitories require students to be out of their dorms by noon on Sunday.