Football: Runnings backs feeding off each other’s success

By Alex Oltmanns

The Pitt running game this season has been somewhat of a running-back-by-committee backfield. Even with the emergence of freshman tailback Dion Lewis, it’s unrealistic to expect a freshman to be able to carry a full workload.

But he hasn’t even needed to, as the ball has been distributed between him, fellow freshman Ray Graham and fullback Henry Hynoski at times.

This sort of distribution might typically cause some jealousy among young players, who often want the ball all of the time, but this is far from the case with this year’s team.

“We have good chemistry back there, and that’s the way you have to be,” Lewis said. “We all congratulate each other every time somebody has a good run.”

Those good runs have come frequently this season. Not only for Lewis, whose play has put him into the mix for Big East player of the year, but also for Graham as well.

Lewis leads the Big East in rushing with 1,029 yards, 12 total touchdowns and an impressive 5.6 yards per carry average. Graham has 262 yards on 45 carries for an even more impressive 5.8 yards per carry to go along with three touchdowns.

“We help each other on the field and giving suggestions,” Lewis said. “He’ll ask me if he did something wrong or right, and I’ll ask him if I did something wrong or right.”

This type of unselfishness from such young players goes a long way toward building the type of good team chemistry to which Lewis alluded. That type of team camaraderie, not only on the field, but off as well, is one of the big reasons why the team has jumped to its 7-1 start.

“We’re friends on and off the field. We hang out all the time, cracking jokes with each other and stuff like that,” Lewis said.

When you throw bruising sophomore Hynoski into the mix with his 17 carries for 87 yards, it’s obvious that, while even though one of the runners might not get their number called for a quarter or two, they will be counted on to run the ball at some point in the game.

So many players in football right now draw attention to themselves by complaining about a lack of touches — whether it be Terrell Owens, Chad Ochocinco or Larry Johnson — and those guys are professionals.

It’s refreshing to see players like Lewis, Graham and Hynoski — who aren’t even halfway done with college — taking a team-first approach. It’s been beneficial to the team so far this season and will only continue to help as it progresses.