Editorial: End “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”

By Staff Editorial

People across the country celebrated National Coming Out Day on Oct. 11, but many military members could not open the closet door. The “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy continues to muzzle soldiers on the declaration of their sexuality.

On Saturday, President Barack Obama pledged to scrap that archaic policy.

He made the promise at a Human Rights Campaign dinner. He did not mince words, and that is encouraging.

The military has discharged more than 13,500 service members under the policy since 1994, according to the Service Members Legal Defense Network. Here is where we are supposed to say, “In light of two wars, the military needs all the help it can get,” citing the many discharged gay soldiers who speak Arabic. But the military should allow gay people to serve openly whether the United States endures war or enjoys peace.

No matter the circumstances, losing 13,500 trained soldiers is a tremendous detriment to the armed forces. Continued discrimination, though, is an even worse detriment to this nation’s moral character. It is hypocritical to suggest that gay military members are useful during conflicts, but disposable otherwise.

At the dinner, Obama seemed committed to ending the state-sponsored discrimination. He said, “My expectation is that when you look back on these years, you will see a time when we put a stop to discrimination against gays and lesbians, whether in the office or on the battlefield,” according to Reuters.

Noticeably absent was any mention of the chapel.

Obama acknowledged the gay community’s frustration over slow progress. Especially on Internet blogs, he has faced growing criticism for a seeming ambivalence about gay rights.

An anonymous Obama adviser attacked these critics, according to Slate.com. “Bloggers need to take off the pajamas, get dressed and realize that governing a closely divided country is complicated and difficult,” he said.

We thought Obama was capable of handling more than one issue at a time. Health care feuds and a wheezing economy have stalled movement on other issues, but ending “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” will never get less difficult than right now — this year.

Whether Democrats lose seats or stay even in the 2010 elections, they surely will not gain any more. If Obama waits too long, continuing to make pledges instead of forcing action as commander-in-chief, he will be in the same position as former President Bill Clinton: forced to swallow some tepid “compromise” in place of equality.