Men’s soccer: Panthers still searching for first Big East win

By Alex Oltmanns

The Pitt men’s soccer team suffered a heartbreaker this weekend, as it fell to the Georgetown… The Pitt men’s soccer team suffered a heartbreaker this weekend, as it fell to the Georgetown Hoyas, 1-0, in double-overtime Saturday in Washington, D.C.

The decisive goal came in the 107th minute, when Georgetown (8-3-1, 5-2-0 Big East) played the ball off a free kick to the far post that was knocked down. Hoyas’ Alex Verdi came out with the ball and put it past Pitt goalkeeper Keegan Gunderson.

But the Panthers had their share of chances to win the game. Just a few minutes into the game, senior forward Matt Baker sent a crossover pass to sophomore midfielder Ryan Brode, but the Hoya goalkeeper was able to deflect the ball over the cage.

Also in the first half, sophomore midfielder Sam Luffy was able to get inside his defender but headed the ball just wide of the cage.

Missed opportunities highlighted the game for the Panthers.

“We had more chances to put the game away, but we couldn’t convert them into goals,” senior defender Matt Firster said.

The loss was especially tough for the Panthers (1-10-1, 0-6-1), as they were looking to build off the momentum they gained after battling No. 25 West Virginia to a 0-0 tie last Tuesday.

Still, the team remains optimistic and has shown improvement as of late.

“We changed our formation, and it seems to be playing to our strengths,” Firster said. “I think we’re getting better every game.”

The Panthers had been playing a 3-4-3 formation to try to take more chances on offense but recently switched to a more conservative 4-4-2 that puts more emphasis on defensive and midfield play.

Their improved play is evident, as Pitt has allowed only one goal in its past two games.The team hopes to continue this trend as it travels to Storrs, Conn., to face the Huskies on Saturday at 7 p.m.