Editorial: Students, don’t pass up H1N1 vaccines

By Staff Editorial

When it comes to health concerns, college students tend to think they’re invulnerable. Concerning the H1N1 virus, many students probably think it won’t happen to them. Now that Pitt has received 1,200 doses of the H1N1 nasal spray, students should take advantage of them.

The number of cases at Pitt have declined — the number of students with self-reported flu-like illnesses averaged five per day as of earlier this month — but the illness subsists amid our campus and community. Perhaps some students will avoid the vaccine because they fear such a rushed medication could have unstudied detrimental side effects.

It’s a personal choice for most students, but regardless of their reasoning, students shouldn’t avoid the vaccine because of an apathetic or invulnerable disposition. After all, college campuses — particularly dorms and cramped classrooms — are all too conducive to spreading illnesses.

We’re in the middle of midterms, and the workload often consumes the majority of our time. Sure, the college lifestyle doesn’t cater to free time, but students shouldn’t let everyday humdrum impede on something as important as getting vaccinated.

The number of doses Pitt has received is small in comparison to the size of Pitt’s student body. Over the coming weeks, Pitt should receive more vaccines, though they might be small portions.

We encourage students to register promptly for a vaccine. And as college students are notoriously frugal, thankfully the University has made the vaccines free to Pitt students.