University to restrict access to Cathedral for leader’s visit

By Liz Navratil

University officials plan to restrict access to parts of the Cathedral of Learning tomorrow to… University officials plan to restrict access to parts of the Cathedral of Learning tomorrow to accommodate for a major world leader’s appearance at Pitt.

A leader who’s in town for the G-20 Summit will speak in the Cathedral of Learning tomorrow afternoon, sources knowledgeable of the event said on a condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak about it.

The University will restrict access to the first, second and third floors of the Cathedral beginning at noon.

From 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., people will only be able to enter the Cathedral through the right side ground-accessible entrance on the Bigelow Boulevard side of the building, according to an update on Pitt’s website. Students and professors will have to show their University ID and pass through a security screening during those hours.

Students and professor will have to leave the Cathedral through the ground-floor exits during that time.

People who aren’t affiliated with Pitt will be able to enter the Cathedral if they have an appointment with a University employee during that time. They should ask the person they’re meeting with to find them at a designated entrance. They must show photo ID.