Football: Baldwin jumps ahead of all Panthers in the passing game

By Randy Lieberman

The running game has always been a staple of the Pitt offense, but against Navy a new feature of… The running game has always been a staple of the Pitt offense, but against Navy a new feature of the offense emerged — an explosive passing game.

By game’s end, nine Panthers caught a pass, including quarterback Bill Stull, in a 27-14 victory over Navy. But of all the players, no Panther is better suited to lead the passing attack than wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin — especially when he’s in single coverage, like he was for a majority of the Navy game.

And by now, everyone knows this motto: If Baldwin is in one-on-one coverage, throw him the ball.

“No. 82, one-on-one with anyone, I’m going to like my matchup,” Stull said.

The No. 82 is gracefully worn by Baldwin, a sophomore whose 6-foot-5-inch frame and athleticism allow him to dazzle with spectacular leaping catches.

Stull is also confident in Baldwin’s jumping ability..

“He always tells me, ‘Bill, just give me a chance, put it up in the air. I’m going to jump,’” Stull said. “I’m like, ‘JB, I know you got the 42-inch vertical and you’re going to jump over someone.’ I just make sure I try and give him a chance and throw a good ball.”

Both players acknowledged that against Navy, Pitt wanted to “open it up more” and throw deep passes to complement the running game. This was a plan devised by offensive coordinator, Frank Cignetti Jr.

Fortunately for Pitt, the Stull-Baldwin connection worked. Stull looked Baldwin’s way twice on key fourth-down conversions in Pitt’s win. The two conversions, one a 22-yard strike on fourth-and-three and the other an 11-yard completion on fourth-and-seven, led to 10 Pitt points.

Yet even on those pressure-packed passes, Baldwin can humbly describe his responsibilities in securing the catch.

“I just have to run my route and try to get open and make a play for my team,” Baldwin said. “I have to be alert for where the sticks are, too, and just continue to try and make plays.”

It’s apparent Baldwin is becoming Pitt’s safety valve on offense. The ease with which Baldwin takes to the air isn’t overestimated. Baldwin practices his skills in the week leading up to games.

Both Stull and Baldwin said one-on-one drills are a part of practice each week. Through three games, it’s clear the connection is starting to show promise.

Simply put, Baldwin said, “When I get the one-on-one opportunity, I just go up and catch the ball.”