Baseball: Sedon, Reed unsure if they’ll stay after getting drafted

Heading into the last week of the season, the Pitt baseball team needed to win two of three… Heading into the last week of the season, the Pitt baseball team needed to win two of three games against West Virginia to make its first Big East tournament since 2007.

Led by second baseman Chris Sedon and starting pitcher Nate Reed, the Panthers won the first two games of the series, and the two players were selected for the Big East honor roll that week.

The two juniors are linked once again, this time as the only two current Panthers selected in last week’s MLB Draft.

Sedon was picked in the 10th round (300th overall) by the Detroit Tigers, and Reed was drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the 20th round (613th overall). While both said they felt happy to get drafted, neither is sure if he plans on skipping his senior season at Pitt to go play in the minor leagues. They have until mid-August to decide.

“There is a long list of our players that have gone on to play professionally,” Pitt coach Joe Jordano told pittsburghpanthers.com. “In addition to the draft picks, there are nearly 30 players that have signed to play professional baseball,” he said. “I am certain we will continue that trend.”

In his first year after transferring from Lackawanna Community College, Sedon set Pitt’s single-season records for home runs (22), total bases (160) and runs scored (65). He also led the team in batting average (.398), RBIs (62) and hits (80).

Sedon has collected numerous honors since the season ended. He’s been named to the Big East All-American first team, Louisville Slugger All-American first team and Baseball America’s All-American second team.

While Sedon had a career year, Reed felt he underperformed this season. As the Panthers’ number one starting pitcher, Reed went 4-6 with a 6.21 ERA. He started 13 games, pitching 84 innings, giving up 113 hits while striking out 60 batters and walking 32.

“I could have had a better year,” Reed said, “but I can’t say [my season] was a complete failure.”

Reed is a left-handed pitcher who throws a fastball, curveball and change-up. He said his fastball, which reaches the low 90s, and change-up are his best pitches.

While he said he’s dreamed of playing in the major leagues since he was a kid, Reed said he wants to complete his degree in communication. He also said he thinks the team will improve next year.

“The pitching staff was young this year, and it was our first year with our new pitching coach [Brandon Rowan],” Reed said. “We have a chance to be really good next year.”

Also taken was Royce Consigli, an incoming freshman from Ontario, who went in the 30th round (903rd overall) to the Oakland Athletics.