Pitt gymnastics compete

By Laura Veith

The Panthers’ gymnastics team’s season ended two weeks ago, but three individuals went on to… The Panthers’ gymnastics team’s season ended two weeks ago, but three individuals went on to compete in Saturday’s NCAA Regionals in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

Captains Alix Croop and Dani Bryan qualified as individuals, along with EAGL Rookie of the Year Alicia Talucci.

Croop’s final meet of her collegiate career ended on a high note, taking fifth place on the beam with a 9.850, which was just shy of her career high. After a dismal performance on the bars, Croop bounced back, finishing 17th on the floor with a 9.775.

‘It was really emotional at the end because I didn’t finish on the bars like I wanted to, but it was a good meet overall,’ said Croop. ‘I think that was my best beam performance.’

On the other side of the University of Alabama gym, Talucci posted high marks in the all-around category, earning ninth place. Posting a 9.725 on the vault, beam, and floor, Talucci finished with a 38.800.

Junior co-captain Bryan tied Talucci on the vault with a 9.725, the only event in which she competed.

‘It was really difficult without having my team there cheering me on,’ said Croop. ‘I am used to a more energetic atmosphere.’

Saturday marked the end of the season for Croop, Bryan and Talucci, as only the top two competitors in each event advance to the national championship.

‘I’m really pleased with the whole season,’ said Croop. ‘But it’s hard to believe that was my last meet.’