Green River is a trip downstream to the

By Marc Schutzbank

Green River Ordinance’s new album, Out of My Hands, has a very trendy cover, like one of… Green River Ordinance’s new album, Out of My Hands, has a very trendy cover, like one of those modern art pieces with three colors that screams, ‘Yeah, I’m cool.’

The music has the same air about it

Out of My Hands is a great album for coffee shops to put in and forget about. It’s catchy, has some nice tracks, but is ultimately forgettable. It’s not threatening, and it’s a pretty easy listen.

The album sounds like a cross between Snow Patrol and Counting Crows — without Adam Duritz’s great lyrics.’

The first song on the album sets the stage for a band that is not anything new, but it’s not bad, either. Electric guitar opens with a simple riff, and when the vocals come in, they seem a little dead. This is not anything new to the pop world.’

Vocalist Josh Jenkins fails to vary his voice, using notes in sequence, almost like a drum beat. The vocal melody dies, becoming a part of the percussion.’

Compared to the music of the ’60s and ’70s, the pop of today is inventive in the ways that it uses computers and synthesizers, but only a few artists are able to experiment with their voices and be successful.

Green River Ordinance does not do anything new, but they do the same old thing pretty well.

The first song that really catches the ear is ‘Goodbye L.A.,’ which talks about needing to leave California, something that is difficult for most Yinzers to understand. This place is cold, that place is warm, no complications.’

The truth is always more nuanced, and you can hear that through some of the complexity of the song. The vocals have harmony, and there is a concerted movement to stay away from the monotone. It’s a catchy song.’

The next song, ‘Different,’ brings listeners back to the ’90s. ‘Different’ catches some of the energy of Third Eye Blind. The whoa-ing in the beginning of the song is reminiscent of the ’90s alternative star’s hit, ‘Semi-Charmed Life,’ combined with the short staccato beats of ‘Jumper.’

Green River Ordinance did well on this song. The only problem: It leaves listeners wanting to abandon Green River and revert back to Third Eye Blind.

There is interesting use of the piano in conjunction with the more ‘rocky’ elements of electric guitar. At first it sounds like Ben Folds, but then unfortunately, the vocals start and leave listeners pining for something more substantial and emotional.

Listeners want to hear the soothing serenade of the man who discovered a cathedral’s true purpose: a place to sacrifice virgins to a cruel God. Green River Ordinance just doesn’t seem to have the same kind of kick.

So if Green River’s playing for less then 10 bucks at the local coffee shop, it’s worth it to go. But if the CD’s selling for $12.99, don’t buy it — just listen to the first few seconds for free on iTunes.’