Senior photography showcases talent

By Jordan Streussnig

‘ Featuring the work of 10 graduating seniors, The Pittsburgh Filmmakers Senior Thesis… ‘ Featuring the work of 10 graduating seniors, The Pittsburgh Filmmakers Senior Thesis Photo Show is a glimpse into the future of budding professional photographers.

This show will run a wide gamut in subject matter, according to director of the photography program at the school, Sue Abramson.

‘There will be images of landscapes and portraiture, along with Barbie-doll narratives and documentation about the game ‘Dungeons and Dragons,” said Abramson.

‘There is also a series of images about phobias,’ she continued, speaking about the work of student Geneffer Moore, titled ‘Neurosis.’

According to Abramson, Moore decided to hire a model to act out the scenes she would photograph, demonstrating such idiosyncrasies of the human mind as obsessive compulsive thought patterns.

Amy Volle focused her photographs on the plastic princess we all know and love (or kind of despise), Barbie. Volle took a series of black-and-white photos of Barbie in different scenes involving other dolls, adding a splash of color here and there.

The photographs are going to be hung as diptychs, or pieces composed of two separate images placed side by side.’ On one side of each diptych, according to Abramson, Barbie is caught engaging in some everyday routine, such as sitting down talking to a friend. On the other, we get a glimpse at the doll’s more sinister side, even catching her in bed with that notorious Ken.

But as Barbie removes her skirt, close by are lots of playful pooches, photographed by student Ann Groves, who are more than happy to don theirs.

‘I wanted to portray the odd nature of humans when it comes to pet ownership,’ said Groves, who added that she traveled to events such as the Pittsburgh Pet Expo to find instances of over-indulgent pet-owner behavior.

‘ ‘I think it is an unusual trend to pamper one’s pet to the point that it seems a little over the top,’ continued Groves.

‘The Blessing of the Dogs,’ ‘Barktoberfest 2008’ and ‘Bogie’s Birthday Bash, 2008’ are just a few of the titles Groves has chosen for some of the 10 included pieces.

‘In general, it’s the oddity of human behavior that pushes me to photograph,’ said Groves. ‘I love catching people do the strange things that people do.’

What about those of us who most prefer vegging out in front of the television, game controller in hand, pumped for an all-night session of hardcore ‘Dungeons and Dragons’ action?’ Well, we’re covered.

Antonio Wright’s photo series depicts video-game enthusiasts doing what they do best: dominating in cyberspace.

Of the 10 photography students exhibiting in the show, nine are graduating photography/photojournalism majors from Point Park University, and one is graduating from the Filmmakers’ photography certificate program.

According to Abramson, the exhibit’s works was produced over a series of one year by the students as part of a two-semester senior thesis class.’ The class is required of all students enrolled in the certificate program at Pittsburgh Filmmakers. Also, those who are taking classes at the school in collaboration with their home university, such as Pitt or Point Park, must take the course before graduating.

‘The biggest challenge was actually to come up with an idea that would hold my interest for two whole semesters, as the class emphasizes focusing on a single body of work,’ said Groves. ‘You have to be able to stick with it and allow it to evolve over a longer timetable than in past classes. The lengthened timeline was very intimidating.’

Through intimidation or not, though, the final exhibit is up and ready to let the world in. It is a labor of love, forcing the photographers to ‘persevere through the doubts and disappointments,’ said Groves.