Oakland’s Schenley Plaza springing to life

By Mary Hancock

After snow, slush, wind and what seemed like endless days of cold weather, signs of spring have… After snow, slush, wind and what seemed like endless days of cold weather, signs of spring have finally started peeking out of Schenley Plaza, just in time for its official opening next week. The park currently features colorful, overgrown daffodils made of lights. The flowers have slowly ‘grown’ over the past couple of weeks. First, visitors saw only the stem, then the side leaves appeared, then the petals. The electronic flowers will slowly come down as the real tulips and daffodils appear, said plaza manager Jim Griffin, who organizes the events like the April 1 opening, as well as maintenance. ‘We try to keep the plaza exceptionally beautiful each season,’ said Griffin. ‘That’s why we prohibit playing even Frisbee on our Emerald Green lawn. It’s more for wiggling toes, lounging and sunbathing.’ The park forbids organized sports, pigeon feeding, open fires, alcohol and drug use or any other act that would harm the environment. Workers will begin reconstructing the PNC Carousel this week. The American-made carousel, which was dismantled for the winter, is meant to highlight parts of Pittsburgh. A panther, for example, represents Pitt’s athletic teams. The carousel and food kiosks will begin working regular hours on April 1. Throughout April, various live musicians will play at noon Tuesdays and Thursdays. During the lunch hours on Mondays and Fridays, the park plays music suggested by its guests. People can send their playlists, which should last about 90 minutes long, to Griffin at [email protected] for approval. The park will then play guests’ playlists through its 400-watt speaker. Griffin will inform people of the date their music will play. ‘We are asking folks to, ultimately, guest-DJ at the plaza and provide some interesting and diverse music that’s family appropriate,’ said Griffin. Pitt will host the Blue, Gold and Green Day in the plaza on April 9. This event, which is new to the University, will teach people how to live environmentally friendly lifestyles. Blue, Gold and Green Day will include a craft fair and performances in the park by Pittsburgh-based performance artists Bill Deasy, the Alli Gillis Band and No Bad Ju Ju. In May, the plaza will host a 93.1 FM WYEP CD release party, parts of the Pittsburgh Annual International Children’s Festival and the Carousel Tea Fundraiser, which benefits the Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy’s restoration projects. Park visitors will not see construction for a restaurant in the plaza yet. Though a restaurant of some type is definite, the date of these plans is not. The park will eventually feature a full-service, sit-down restaurant in its future, but negotiations are still pending. The plans and financing should be finalized over the next several months, said Griffin.